Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Sika red hybrid

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar

Nice Sika red hybrid

This chap was definitely the boss in the valley, holding the high ground and a number of hybrid hinds, from a distance had the stance and colouring of a rutting Sika, up close had antlers like a gazelle and all the characteristics of a red with a red tinge to the sika grey. Bellowed like a red as well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	20280

not suprised he was boss if he had the temprement of a sika ,something abit different ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

That is an excellent switch to be rid off. Well done

Account Suspended
    perfect cull animal what some spikes on him

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Springer View Post
    This chap was definitely the boss in the valley, holding the high ground and a number of hybrid hinds, from a distance had the stance and colouring of a rutting Sika, up close had antlers like a gazelle and all the characteristics of a red with a red tinge to the sika grey. Bellowed like a red as well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	20280
    If I send you a sample pot any chance of a slither of flesh for DNA testing?

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Why? virtually every Sika and red on the place has genes of each other - its more rare for us to get a pure animal now than a hybrid. Something we've noticed more and more over the last 5 years. So so many animals with spikes rather than antlers, big red bodies and little sika antlers, sika attitude on a red body....its plainly obvious to see. The only thing it may tell is what proportion of each, but as the animals have been crossing for probably 30 years or more in Kintyre its a bit pointless, or am I being cynical?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Springer View Post
    Why? virtually every Sika and red on the place has genes of each other - its more rare for us to get a pure animal now than a hybrid. Something we've noticed more and more over the last 5 years. So so many animals with spikes rather than antlers, big red bodies and little sika antlers, sika attitude on a red body....its plainly obvious to see. The only thing it may tell is what proportion of each, but as the animals have been crossing for probably 30 years or more in Kintyre its a bit pointless, or am I being cynical?
    Nothing in science is pointless.
    Take the man up on his offer as I wish I had the same offer of his services many years ago.
    I was involved with Co.Wicklow Reds, Sika and Hybrids for many years but never heard a true hybrid roar.
    Whatever it is that is a crap head but does not look very old from what is visible.
    Below is a photo of a Sika, a Red stag and a Hybrid.
    I would have liked Mr.Lewis to have checked the DNA profile of these three.
    HWH.

HWH if you still have any of those three heads a colleague may be able to extract DNA from bone samples.

Latest DNA research shows that Hybridistion of red deer in Scotland is not as widespread as originally thought.