Thread: Deer Data For Research Project

Deer Data For Research Project

Hi all

I wasnít sure which section was most appropriate to put this post in, so admin if it should be somewhere else please go ahead and move it.

Iím currently in the 3rd year of a degree in Applied Animal Management, and this year we are required to produce a dissertation on a subject of our choice. I am very keen to involve deer/deer management in some way, and would love to do my project on a subject related to this area! Iíve contacted various different organisations about the possibility of me carrying out research/data collection with them, but unfortunately most havenít had anything to offer me. Now time is getting on and I need to get this dissertation sorted as soon as possible, I really need to source some data and finalise my hypothesis so that I can get on with the project.

I know that as well as recreational stalkers, this forum community includes people who work with/for various organisations such the Forestry Commission, and so I thought itíd be worth seeing if anyone on here can help me. There may also be people working on large shooting estates who have historical data on their deer.

Basically what Iím after is deer data or the opportunity for me to gather my own deer data (if this can be done within a relatively short time scale). This data could be anything from historical cull records, to surveys on damage caused by deer, to population censusís, etc. etc. etc.! I havenít been able to form a specific hypothesis yet because I donít have an idea of what data I can feasibly get hold of. If anyone can help me in ANY way, it would be very very much appreciated! Whether you have access to data which you could provide me with, or have the contact details of someone else who might be able to help me, thatíd be great. Also, with the data, itís a case of the more the better!
    I appreciate this is a rather vague request so Iíll give a couple of random examples of potential dissertation titles in case itís any help Ė

ĎInvestigating the effect of a rising Muntjac deer population on the resident Roe deer populationí Ė for instance, for something like this I would need records of Muntjac population censusís/cull records/damage surveys over time, along with similar data for the Roe. I then do the statistical analysis and form my write-up from that. My hypothesis would be something along the lines of ĎThe Roe deer population has suffered as a result of growing numbers of Muntjací.

ĎInvestigating the effect on plant biodiversity of a rising deer populationí Ė this would involve plant survey data, deer damage surveys, etc.. and a hypothesis could be ĎPlant biodiversity is decreases as the resident deer population risesí.

These are very crude examples but hopefully they give a rough idea of what Iím on about!

Anyway, I better stop there as this is really starting to become a bit of an essay!

It may be a bit of a long shot but if anyone thinks they might be able to help me in any way, please do reply on here or drop me a PM or something. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Contact Norman Dandy.

Tel: 01420 22255. Email: norman.dandy@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

Thanks for that 6pointer

And or Trevor Banham at the same fc email address, head ranger for the east of england.....

Quote Originally Posted by .Skinner. View Post
    Hi all

I wasn’t sure which section was most appropriate to put this post in, so admin if it should be somewhere else please go ahead and move it.

I’m currently in the 3rd year of a degree in Applied Animal Management, and this year we are required to produce a dissertation on a subject of our choice. I am very keen to involve deer/deer management in some way, and would love to do my project on a subject related to this area! I’ve contacted various different organisations about the possibility of me carrying out research/data collection with them, but unfortunately most haven’t had anything to offer me. Now time is getting on and I need to get this dissertation sorted as soon as possible, I really need to source some data and finalise my hypothesis so that I can get on with the project.

I know that as well as recreational stalkers, this forum community includes people who work with/for various organisations such the Forestry Commission, and so I thought it’d be worth seeing if anyone on here can help me. There may also be people working on large shooting estates who have historical data on their deer.

Basically what I’m after is deer data or the opportunity for me to gather my own deer data (if this can be done within a relatively short time scale). This data could be anything from historical cull records, to surveys on damage caused by deer, to population census’s, etc. etc. etc.! I haven’t been able to form a specific hypothesis yet because I don’t have an idea of what data I can feasibly get hold of. If anyone can help me in ANY way, it would be very very much appreciated! Whether you have access to data which you could provide me with, or have the contact details of someone else who might be able to help me, that’d be great. Also, with the data, it’s a case of the more the better!
    I appreciate this is a rather vague request so I’ll give a couple of random examples of potential dissertation titles in case it’s any help –

‘Investigating the effect of a rising Muntjac deer population on the resident Roe deer population’ – for instance, for something like this I would need records of Muntjac population census’s/cull records/damage surveys over time, along with similar data for the Roe. I then do the statistical analysis and form my write-up from that. My hypothesis would be something along the lines of ‘The Roe deer population has suffered as a result of growing numbers of Muntjac’.

‘Investigating the effect on plant biodiversity of a rising deer population’ – this would involve plant survey data, deer damage surveys, etc.. and a hypothesis could be ‘Plant biodiversity is decreases as the resident deer population rises’.

These are very crude examples but hopefully they give a rough idea of what I’m on about!

Anyway, I better stop there as this is really starting to become a bit of an essay!

It may be a bit of a long shot but if anyone thinks they might be able to help me in any way, please do reply on here or drop me a PM or something. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

all of this has pretty much been done by K Waeber and P Dollman of the UEA so they could well be your first poc.

I also did some research into this and found Roe condition and body weights improved over the same 15 year period that muntjac became established and rapidly grew in population density despite being culled on sight.