6.5 rounds

Dan Newcombe

Just got a 6.5x55 (pending the return of my certificate) and was wondering what people use through it.

Munties, Roe and Fallow not long ranges

Going to be reloading but initially will buy some factory rounds to get used to the rifle before playing about with it. Would ideally like to be able to find the ballistics and bullet drop etc like the federal site has.

What weight and bullet type do people use and what brand.

Not interested in the other calibres, ive bought the 6.5 so its too late!

I'm not planning to home load and have found that the Federal Powershok 140g does it all for me which is roe and red. It groups well in my Tikka T3 stainless synthetic.

Dave

Now settled on the 140gr Nosler Partition from Norma.

Previously used 156gr Oryx. Have friends using the same round and 156gr Gamehead from Sako happily.

Stan

i have a t3 synthetic stainless, i use federal powershocks 140grain, 1st batch i had would group just under an inch for me, maybe less with someone else pulling the trigger, shot munties,red, fallow and roe with them, second batch i got and the grouping went up to about 2 inch and the point of impact was about 6 inches away from the old batch, so i think i'll be taking up reloading soon as i'm not happy with that and norma factory ballistic tip ammo is about £35 a box.

hi mossy-dog,

I have a new tikka t3 lite 6.5 x 55 and am using 120gr Norma Nosler ballistic tip through it...
Find they group well and as of yet havent had problems between batches as used the same bullet through my old 6.5 x 55 so mjjl's problem may have been a one off, i hope so although may be looking into home loading soon...
Mainly shoot roe and they seem to do a good job without to much damage... shot only a few fallow but they dont tend to go very far either...
hope you enjoy your new rifle... about £25 to £30 pounds a box from Raker Ltd Sussex...
All the best...
Nielaj

Fed 140 gr. had about 20 boxes and all grouped under an inch only time it wandered was if I had cleaned the gun. seems good value
Doc

I use 120grain Barnes TSX, shot Roe , Muntjac, Fallow Sika big lowland Reds, Wild goat.

Does the job for me! 8)

I reload with 120gn prohunters and do the job well on roe and red. Hopefully get to floor a sika thi year.

J

nielaj said:
hi mossy-dog,

I have a new tikka t3 lite 6.5 x 55 and am using 120gr Norma Nosler ballistic tip through it...
Find they group well and as of yet havent had problems between batches as used the same bullet through my old 6.5 x 55 so mjjl's problem may have been a one off,

i haven't tried the norma stuff yet, it was the federals that i had a problem with. but i may try them despite the cost what groups are you getting?

federal 140 grain used them on everything and they do the job nicely !

im now down to my last 20 so in going to give winchester super x a wazz to see what there like

cheers
lee

I use home loaded 130 grn Barnes TSX in mine. Fairly mild with 45grns of RL19 behind it, it shoots sub 1" at 100 yards with me holding the gun. With a higher mag scope I'm sure I could better it.

Factory wise my rifle liked the 156grn Norma the best. It grouped just over an inch with Federal 140grn Soft points. I have a mate who uses them for all his Deer shooting. He packed up reloading because the feds shot so well in his rifle he didn't see the point!

EDIT... Take a look here for your drops...

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

You can find the BC of the bullet on the Midway UK site. Shove your load through a chrono and this will give you a pretty accurate idea of where it will strike at various ranges. Not perfect, but close enough for a 4" kill zone out to the longest stalking ranges.

Monkey Spanker said:
Stand Buck said:
deer man said:
I use 120grain Barnes TSX, shot Roe , Muntjac, Fallow Sika big lowland Reds, Wild goat.

Does the job for me! 8)

What are they like on targets?

What are they like on DSC 1 'Test' Targets!!?? :lol:

They would be good unlike the factory S***e! Good pattern for a shotgun, moral is don't use cheap ammo! :cry:

Federal Powershok 140g for me also, seem to work well & group under 1" if I do my part. :confused: :rolleyes:

Chris

140 gr Remington Core-Lokt work well for me. Groups well on the range No excessive meat damage on deer from Reds to Muntjac.
Great calibre.

The fact that the 6.5x55 is not a fast round I would definitely give the 140gn Hornady A max a try or even the 139gn Lapua Scenar, half the price of most bullets and extremely accurate...

regards
griff

I used four factory rounds before I started reloading:-

Privi Partizan 139g SP - hopeless accuracy averaging almost 50mm @100y, which was a shame as they were so cheap. Good on deer to say 150y max

Speer 140g grand slam - OK but never better than 60mm @ 200 y. Fine on the few deer I shot with them

Norma 120g BT - good sub minute accuracy but seriously expensive.

Norma 140g Partition - v.good accuracy and velocity (for a 140g 6.5)but too expensive, hence my decision to reload.

Reloading a great hobby although you will encounter just as much variation as you get with factory rounds. Don't write off bullets if they don't perform first time. Experiment and you should find a sweet spot. My Sako 85 loves 140g Sierra gamekings using just about any powder/case/primer/etc combination however I'm trying to find a load for Hornady 129 and 140 SST's and I'm struggling! My Tikka shot well with them.
regards

Back