to cook a haunch

K

Kent

1. Allow meat to come to room temprature and eccess blood to drain

2. Sear off all the outside in olive oil on hob

3. rub the outside well with Marmalade or Honey in the case of Fallow or lighter tasting venison, Blueberry type conserve with gameier types like roe. Seal in tinfoil.

3. cook in a hot oven 200 + but some ovens tell lies (mine doesn't)
remove from oven when you are still getting some blood from cenre of meat.

4. Allow to rest in the foil, it will continue to cook so will not be too rare but it won't dry out either. about 20mins - 1/2 hr

5. carve and serve, put some aside in fridge it is simply the best on sandwiches etc.

If you prefer you can omit the sweet couting and spear it with sprigs of fresh thyme or the likes (esspecially good with Roe)

Sorry but you have missed a stage and it is the most important part of the whole process as well.

Stage two. Marinade in a reasonable dry red wine overnight.

Now continue as above

M

Ive got a nice fallow hauch just waiting for some of that treatment.
I'll put the two recipes together and look forward to a proper feed.
Thanks guys!
G

why two marinades ? sounds a bit quirkyto me - i do like mixing guiness and red wine for vension casserole though.

Interestingly i shot Geese with an ex-head chef from Glen eagles many years ago who gave me a recipie for marinaded goose in red wine that was simply left in red wine too cook itself by the action of the red wine alone - never tried it but he promised it was YUmmy

Hi Kent,

I might even give the red wine only one a go, but I don't see the missus trying it somehow.
I did try eating beef that had been soaked in pineapple juice overnight and that was proper tasty, but there are enzymes in the juice, maybe it's the acid in the wine that does the job. I take it that the cook suggested plonk rather than something decent for the wine soak?

Ta
G

I know its slightly off topic but I had a very hard night in a pub in Weem but was due to have lunch at Gleneagles the following day. I had a serious hangover (I even let my wife drive) and when we got to Gleneagles I couldn't face any food and my gourmet lunch was limited to black coffee.

I asked at reception if they had any aspirin and as if it were quite normal the receptionist said "I'm sorry no sir.... but we'll send a car to the village for some" what a hotel!!!

For the record I am a great believer that you should do as little as possible to good meat and only whack in the flavours with inferior meat. If venison needs anything it needs to be kept moist and a marinade will help with this. Not that I'm knocking the advice and recipes given, I'm sure that they are very nice but I prefer my meat unaudulterated and for that reason I never have a sauce with a good steak which mystifies many of my friends..... but then they have theirs well done!!

Back