Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question regarding High Seat attachment

A question regarding High Seat attachment

Due to the number of unscrupulous persons there appear to be these days who steal high seats, I have a plan for making one however I need some assistance as currently I only have half the plan worked out!

Basically, I am want to use a telescopic ladder to get up to seats I will place around the shoot. As this collapses and is reasonably light it will be easy to transport back and forth and can be taken home to avoid it being pinched. I could if required also take it up once I am in the tree if the colour makes it stand out.

The dilemma however is what to sit on when I get up there, and how to attach it securely to the tree. Obviously I can use a ratchet strap however there would be nothing stopping the seat from sliding down over time which kind of defeats the purpose.

My questions therefore are thus:

1: What could I use as a seat that would hold a persons weight (I'm only 10.5 stone so fairly light)

2: How can I brace it to the tree.

Cheers.

Hi david
    Sorry im unable to answer your question personally but are you aware Ianf is running a high seat course on the 6th June
    Maybe the course if you are able to attend will provide all the answers

Terry

seats

Take a look at the tree creeper seat design as it is designed to stay up trees on its own.

Be really careful with the portable ladder idea though. Been there, done that, and spent a pretty unpleasant 10 minutes dangling out of a tree.
    (and believe me 17st much worse than 10.5

Solid ladder attachment mechanism is definately key!!

Re: seats

[quote="shootingduckdog"]
    Be really careful with the portable ladder idea though. Been there, done that, and spent a pretty unpleasant 10 minutes dangling out of a tree.
    (and believe me 17st much worse than 10.5

now that sounds like it would be worth 100 from you've been framed any day,

sorry shootingduckdog but i would have laughed a fair bit before helping if i'd have been there.

Any thing you use to keep the seat aloft should be no invasive to the tree. There is no point in trying to protect trees if you bolt or nail things through limbs. A ratchet system would hold your weight but again if left on you will damage the cambium and cause decay and probably death to the tree. Also strapping a seat directly to the stem gives you the added problem of no shooting rail.

David,

I've seen a couple of seats similar to what you mean...

These were made as standard lean-to seats, but what should have been the ladder section was just two vertical scaffold poles holding up the seat section against the tree..

The guy then used a section of very lightweight non folding ladder section to gain access as requied...

The idea was that when the lightweight ladder was removed, the structure would be very difficult to climb and that in conjunction with "DO NOT CLIMB" signs, he had taken reasonable precautions against unauthorised access should some scrote try to climb it and then fall out..

Regards,

Peter

seat

"sorry shootingduckdog but i would have laughed a fair bit before helping if i'd have been there"

MJJL- no one else about but I'm sure you'd fit right in with my mates cos they would have all wet themselves

I actually ended up with the ladder hooked on one foot b ut couldnt get it to stand back against the tree. My bloomin arms ached for days after hanging there

On a more practical note, the main problem was there was loads of logs/brash at the base of the tree so I couldnt just drop down. Lesson- make sure base of seats is clear of debris at least then if it all goes pete tong you only have gravity and the ground to contend with and not getting skewered

If you are going to all that bother of making loads of shooting platforms up trees and have to extend a portable ladder to get to each one - it begs the question, why don't you just get or make a lightweight portable highseat???? The extentable ladders cost nearly as much anyway!

David

The unpleasant fact is, that metal has scrap value, and if broken down is easily exchanged for cash.

As a result, If someone really wants to take your metal high-seat, they are going to do so. I have seen trees chainsawed to defeat a security chain!

If you wish to minimise theft potential, your options are really limited to using the American style tree stand in conjunction with an access system such as a 'climbing stick, or manfacturing a wooden seat with no intrinsic value.

The disadvantages of the first option centre around the fact that they are designed for Bow hunters and do not normally feature a shooting rail. They require a separate safety harness and are constructed on a 'camming' basis that ensures that there will be bark damage during use. Not a problem on the public ground available in the US, however, in a commercial timber crop things are often different!

As has been previously mentioned - if you are prepared to walk in, and make a bit of noise setting up a ladder, using a portable lean-to seat has got to be the way to go.

The item offered by Bushwear is currently the cheapest on the market at 200 (no, I ain't on commission) and is constructed to an adequate standard for regular usage.

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/prodimages/316923.jpg

Rgds Ian

DAVID
    PM ME YOUR DETAILS AS I MANUFACTURE METAL HIGH SEATS I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT.
    STUMPY