Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttalo caller & Muntjac

Buttalo caller & Muntjac

Hi all,

Just a quick one, is the buttalo roe call as effective on Muntjac as people say?

Your views/experiences please.

Regards
    TotalNovice

Works really well, don't overuse it though!

yes it is very affective and as already said dont overuse it as they very quickly become aware of it, also take your time when using it in my experience the deer will keep in the cover until they are right on top of you so dont just give it 5 mins and move on prehaps call for five mins (2 or 3 calls then a 20sec gap) then sit quite for another 10 or 15 to see what apperars. i also start calling with the call in my pocket to muffle the call a little so as not to scare anything to close

As said be prepared for some close encounters and when they break cover to have a good look you won't get long !

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Be sure to look carefully all around you once you've called. Muntjac can appear for all four points of the compass! Been caught out too many times by calling, waiting 15 minutes, thinking there was nothing happening, taking two steps and then having a muntjac bark right behind me

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Be sure to look carefully all around you once you've called. Muntjac can appear for all four points of the compass! Been caught out too many times by calling, waiting 15 minutes, thinking there was nothing happening, taking two steps and then having a muntjac bark right behind me

willie_gunn

That made I larf. That would be typical of me cos I'm not the most patient of people.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Yes the Buttalo is brilliant on munties, I find they usually come very quick if they are going to come at all, like being charged when they come out of cover. Does seem to come fastest (obviously) with lots of crashing through cover and barking, bucks are normally more cautious in my experience. You don't get a lot of time with the does so be careful in selecting what you're going to shoot.

tested this the other night was out foxing and saw a munty doe on a friends estate give her a squeak just to see what happened she came to within 20yds of the vehical and two bucks where barking at us at the other end of the field so ti lives in my pocket now

Can be very effective but you must carefully consider what you are replicating here!
    The reason some does come crashing out of cover is because you are replicating the noise of a fawn! Does will leave very young fawns safely in cover and go off to feed nearby. When they hear what they think is their fawn calling, they will come to investigate pretty sharpish! Bucks will also be protective at times. I actually heard a fawn being attacked by a fox last year. The bushes then errupted as the doe waded in to assist. The last I saw was the fox being chased by a large munty buck who looked like he meant serious business!
    So, you can easily 'squeak' them out and shoot them, especially does, but it will often end with the orphaning of a fawn!!!!!!
    Your choice really but there are clearly deer welfare issues here?
    MS

Once had a buck ,doe and fawn all appear at once using one.Call me a softie but i did not feel it right to shoot the buck in front of its family so left them for another time