Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nosler BT or Hornady Vmax bullets?

Regular Poster

Nosler BT or Hornady Vmax bullets?

I'm about to go to the USA and intend to pick up some bullets for reloading as they are significantly cheaper. I'm wondering about the pros and cons of the Nosler BT and Hornady VMAX. Anybody have any experience or preferences of the two?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by gaza916 View Post
    I'm about to go to the USA and intend to pick up some bullets for reloading as they are significantly cheaper. I'm wondering about the pros and cons of the Nosler BT and Hornady VMAX. Anybody have any experience or preferences of the two?

Thanks in advance.

Ive used both, it's six and two threes really. But I'd check on export rulings as I know good ol' Uncle Sam is being silly at the mo when it comes to exporting anything firearm related, I don't want you getting caught if its a no no as it'll be a federal offence and you'll be barred from the states forever. Check it out first buddy

atb
    Pete

Vmax, cheaper, just as accurate and at the end of the day, they're a varminting bullet - so long as they expand violently what more do you need? But having said that the Noslers do come with prettier coloured polymer tips!

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Ive used both, it's six and two threes really. But I'd check on export rulings as I know good ol' Uncle Sam is being silly at the mo when it comes to exporting anything firearm related, I don't want you getting caught if its a no no as it'll be a federal offence and you'll be barred from the states forever. Check it out first buddy

atb
    Pete
    Wise words! I'm over there hunting with my .270 with the necessary ATF approval. Was just going to quietly slip some bullet heads into the ammo box!!

Was there last year and they didn't even check the rifle or ammo once, even at the airport.

Surely you won't save much? I use the vmax which are very good! I havnt tried the noslers yet but im sure i will try them out if they will shoot in my rifle!

Nosler seem to be more consistant in length and shoot very well but only slightly better than vmax for me
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by 12borejimbo View Post
    Surely you won't save much?
    For me the savings are huge, I bring back target bullets twice a year, 1000 x Nosler CC 168g .30 cal are 290 here, 135 in the US, 55g .223 Hornady FMJBT are around 145 x 1000 here, 56 in the US.

New factory brass is much cheaper as well, 500 Starline .44mag for $92, that's under 12/100

I have just done some testing with Nosler 100gn BT and 95gn VMax in my 6.5x55, whilst looking for a foxing bullet.

The Noslers were very slightly more consistent in terms of accuracy, but did not expand at all well on foxes, seeing a few running up to 75 yards before dropping, even with good boiler room shots.

The VMax however pulverize them, dropping them on the spot each and every time.

Accuracy wise I am now getting 1/2" groups at 100yds from the VMax, which in my book is perfectly good enough for the vermin control that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Nosler seem to be more consistant in length and shoot very well but only slightly better than vmax for me
    +1

V-Max is also cheaper.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

If you're talking varmint bullets, I can recommend 75 grain Sierra hollow point flat base in 243. I've shot sub 0.5 MOA with them from all my 243 rifles (4 to date) Nice explosive impact & no runners to date. (Muzzle velocity about 3200 ft/s) Also they're lot cheaper than polimer tipped bullets too.

Ian