unusual fox

shootingduckdog

Hambleton-20121015-00278.jpg

Got this lady last night. About half of her lower jaw missing and healed. A chubby fox mind you so hadnt struggled much. I wonder if it was shot or something else. I wonder, also, how she was eating?
Her tongue was intact mind you

congenital birth defect

had a collie just like that. (assuming the lower jaw is short and has all teeth)
its only the incisors and canine that dont meet, rest of the teeth back and sides will crunch away on anything they can get in

Did she have her front row of teeth? If not, im guessing a previous run in with a terrier to ground?

Novice

All front teeth missing and very rough front edge to jaw.

Bewsher, how did the collie suckle? lambs etc really struggle

nasty. was teh front edge of the jaw present? tooth sockets?

Re:Collie. not sure TBH, we got her as a adult. (bloody mental one at that!)

what do you mean lambs struggle?

Last edited:
Lambs with undershot jaws can struggle to suckle, although they generally manage ok up to weaning. Once they have to depend on grazing they just go down hill as they just can't manage if te deformity is severe.
Mild cases may go unnoticed.

I'd be guessing a run in with a terrier to ground as well. Second guess would be a poorly placed bullet.

I shot one earlier this year that had teeth missing and a bullet graze down the jaw, was fresh so you knew what had done it but it wouldn't surprise me if that was similar. Poor bugger you definitely did it a favour

Back