Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damascus blade sharpening angle

Damascus blade sharpening angle

Hi Guys

Having a problem getting a reasonable sharpened edge on a Damascus (Purdey)Blade

Have been using the lansky sharpener @ 25 degree angle,Fine

Anyone have any ideas or am I using wrong angle ?

Phil

My mate has a Damascus that won't sharpen , interested to find out why .

im not an expert so im sure others will come in but there is alot of really cheap damascus from forein soils that is really crap and wont hold a good edge so im assuming you might have that material , have you put it onto wet stones ? ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Hi Mereside

I have only tried the lansky sharpeners, have used these for some time and all my other knives have been fine, I had this knife purchased for my birthday by my wife, it cost a fair lump from Purdey gunmakers, I wouldn't have thought it would be cheapo steel, funny enough that's one of the reasons we got it from them to avoid just that ?

I have mora and other blades which cost 25 times less and they are razor sharp, sharpened on the lansky system I guess it's gotta be me. Help required - really like the blade as well, just a thought on the angle it might need a flatter set - I really don't want to ba*%#*cks it up if truth be told.

Cheers

Phil

hi phil i havnt used a lansky so i cannot comment on them maybe send it in to be sharpened properly so at least you know it can be done and then hopefully you will only need to top up ,maybe dougster on here or one of the other knife makers could do it . i only use wet stones as i have found using a couple of grades and the strop the edge stays sharp for a long time i only need to really do a finish stone and strop every now and then, ps i didnt read that you had got it from purdy's ,hope you get sorted ,wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Hi Philip, what is the problem exactly? Are you unable to get an edge on the blade or you can get one but it will not keep it?

You can tell from the way I phrased it where the solution probably is!

Not getting an edge is likely down to your sharpening regime, not keeping it once there is down to the blade.

You can get an "edge" on soft material like brass or wood but obviously it won't hold up to much.

My father always reckoned he could get a better edge on his carbon steel saw and planer blades than on the the tungsten tipped ones, he reckoned the grain size of the steel was smaller and edge was that much finer. The tungsten just went on cutting okay for a year whereas the carbon steel cut superbly for a day!

Damascus as you know is made up of at least two steels one high in carbon to hold an edge and the other lower to give toughness. Depending on the folding regime when forging and forming it more or less of the edge will be the hard stuff. Then the other parameter is the hardening treatment.

My father's other useful tip on edge tool sharpening was "if you can see and edge there isn't one!" an edge is the junction of two planes, if you can see a bead of light along it then there is no "edge". Keep sharpening and removing the bur with a strop until there is no sign of an edge!

Good luck, Alan

PS I should add that depending on your response to my first question above, Purdey should be able to advise on the sharpening angle you queried. They would also be my first port of call if the blade would not hold an edge.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 17-10-2012 at 10:08. Reason: added ps

Could be as simple as the sharpening angle you've set is not that used by the knifemaker prior to shipping. In other words you are attempting to create a new edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Could be as simple as the sharpening angle you've set is not that used by the knifemaker prior to shipping. In other words you are attempting to create a new edge.
    Great advice! A quick call to Purdey should give you the correct angle.
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

If its the Purdy Knife with the flower cut out and in the 800 region then its Damasteel Stainless Damascus which si RWL34 and PMC27 these are powder formed

The blades are made by one of the Top custom knifemakers
    who only has top end heat treatment.

is that

25 deg ie 12.5 deg per side

25 deg a side ie 50 deg

both would be unsuitable to me for that steel in a full flat with secondary I would look at a combined 35deg (17.5 deg per side) or convex the final and strop

this is hard wearing stuff so will take a bit of sharpening to change any angles by hand

if you run some felt tip along the edge your trying to take off then sharpen you will see if your removing the whole face if you get a silver wear line at the edge the angle is to blunt if its on the point he edge angle changes to the flat side its to shallow

ATB

Duncan
    Last edited by FGYT; 17-10-2012 at 14:13.

Have you thought that the sharpening stones may be unsuitable, for some of the harder metals only diamond stones will give a decent edge in a reasonable amount of time.