Thread: Legal age to shoot a firearm

Legal age to shoot a firearm

Hi Guy's ,

Following on from the thread earlier what got edited, at what age is my son allowed to shoot a firearm legally, ie under my supervision.

Also at what age can I apply for his fac.

Regard's Mark.
    Galloway Deer Stalking

Your son can't hold an FAC until he is 14. Under 14 he can only be in posession of a section 1 firearm in circumstances such as the cadets or approved rifle club.

....so I may stand corrected but in the eyes of the law ,outside of those two circumstances mentioned you would be technically breaking the law.
    Last edited by dave1372; 16-10-2012 at 22:35.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

That's basically it. It is common to have a 'shared' condition allowing them to use your rifles.

There is no minimum age for having a SGC, although you must be 2 years old or the referee couldn't have known them personally for 2 years.........

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

17 to borrow it under the estate rifle rules

There is no minimum age for them to be your gun bearer carrying but not using your rifle

At 14 they can be granted an FAC which could be 'open' and does not have any supervision conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    although you must be 2 years old or the referee couldn't have known them personally for 2 years.........
    Would likely have to be the health visitor, midwife, gynecologist or obstetrician in that case – anyone else who knows them are likely to be family.....