Lessons in reloading? (West Sussex)

BunnyDoom

I'm new to reloading, and as per my other recent post I've just gotten a complete S/H reloading set up... trouble is I haven't a bloody clue how to use any of it!

I know there are books and internet guides, but just wondered if there are any local SD members who would consider showing me how to use all of it in exchange for the dies I don't need (9mm, .223, .308 - not sure what they're worth) or a bunny-bashing session preceded/followed by grub and pint on me?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Hi mate, I would love to help you out with my limited knowledge. P.M. me your contact details and see if we can meet up.
Tusker

Hi rich give me a call ref the reloading we'll soon have you going no problem .

Paul

If you bought a proper book on the subject you wouldn't need first hand lessons. The Lee book walks you through it step by step and explains the rationale behind the process. And playing devil's advocate here.... How would you (OP) know if you were being taught correctly with no reputable source reading behind you? Not that anyone on SD would be a bad reloader, but I have seen some really crap reloaders despite them having "years of experience".

Take your chances. Pay your dues.~Muir

(but buy a book)

Im sure there is plenty to help you.
Muir amd JBAY helped me in the ealy days.
I had the books and they advised me through PMs and I will do the same and buy phone its confidence.
thats if your still styruggle to get someone local.

Phil

Know where you are bud. I have recently been out and paid an obscene amount of dough on reloading gear - I couldnt even start to put it together. I plonked the whole caboose in a box and shot down to Wilson and wilsons in ramsgate put it on the table and said help please ( Peter had probably seen my look of bewilderment on my face and took pity on me) any way a hour and a half later, I came out of the shop will all the dies etc all set up all the gear put together properly, with instructions ringing in my ears to get the books required and read them all. I then went my shooting buddy and drove him ballistically mad with all my new found knowledge from said books etc.

He got me going through all the basics and under great pressure and stress I loaded some 10 .270 rounds of which I can report are brilliantly accurate, they were from already proved loading but it didn't matter to me I made em.

Now, I'm still nervous about it and the objective is measure twice cut once, my philosophy at the moment is measure 15 times and possibly look at the cut once you checked one more time, my buddy thinks I'm an idiot doing little plots of rounds five at a time, have had a bucket full of dummy rounds and practice rounds but I can tell you there is nothing better than reloading your own rounds it sort of brings it all together. I love it but still can't figure out why I didn't do it years ago, saving over a pound a round easily and accurate ----

Stick with it, read up on everything and take on board advice and write down everything as you go, double check everything, if I can do it, even my wife comments --- " that's a first, you've actually read some instructions" I love it. Get some sound advice. And stick with it enjoy

Good luck

Phil

If you bought a proper book on the subject you wouldn't need first hand lessons. The Lee book walks you through it step by step and explains the rationale behind the process. And playing devil's advocate here.... How would you (OP) know if you were being taught correctly with no reputable source reading behind you? Not that anyone on SD would be a bad reloader, but I have seen some really crap reloaders despite them having "years of experience".

Take your chances. Pay your dues.~Muir

(but buy a book)

very good comment M,

I have loaned a book to someone but can't recall who that was, but it gives a great base line to start from, and once you have read the book you can crack on and learn all your own bad habits :norty:,

I have to agree with you i would never say im the best loader but i do feel that teaching the basics is ok to a new reloader, starting with the purchase of some good loading gear in stead of getting cheap stuff and having problem with it rather than the loading process etc.

so who ever i loaned the book too.......................:oops:.......................... may i have it back please.

thanks

bob.

ps: im the worst at looking after brass..................see my next post on here.

I feel for you. Over the years I have loaned out more stuff to folks and lost track of it. My custom barreled Ruger 17HMR has been with a rancher buddy of mine for 3 or 4 years now... I'm trying to remember that one!~Muir

I feel for you. Over the years I have loaned out more stuff to folks and lost track of it. My custom barreled Ruger 17HMR has been with a rancher buddy of mine for 3 or 4 years now... I'm trying to remember that one!~Muir

a books one thing Muir~ but a rifle, you need to get a grip buddy. ;)

bob.

I've had a load of helpful guys offer to help - thanks all and I'll let you know how I get on (if I don't blow myself up!) ;)

Back