Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Civilian rifle range plans

Civilian rifle range plans

My land owner is in the process of starting up a new shooting buisiness, he already has a clay ground, but he is keen to setup a minium of 4 lane rifle range.

Does anyone know where you can find the rules and regs on civilian ranges, and range plans, i know military ranges refer to pamflet 21.

Anyone help

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by goldypurple View Post
    My land owner is in the process of starting up a new shooting buisiness, he already has a clay ground, but he is keen to setup a minium of 4 lane rifle range.

Does anyone know where you can find the rules and regs on civilian ranges, and range plans, i know military ranges refer to pamflet 21.

Anyone help

Thanks in advance
    Page not found

That's the military 'bible' on construction of ranges, from tube, gallery, etr, mmtt etc. you'll need to scroll down to the most ideal for your needs, probably the g&z which is sect14 I think. if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
    Atb
    pete
    Last edited by The tramp; 17-10-2012 at 10:23.

Have a chat with your FLO. Different rules apply to planning permission for civilian ranges.
    MS

Link won't work even though I just copied and pasted. Google jsp 403, it's volume 2 you'll need for small arms stuff.
    Last edited by The tramp; 17-10-2012 at 10:26. Reason: Link not working :/

Ok
    Ok says 'page not found', but click on the link anyway, it does actually work

Some great information in the JSP, but read the conditions which state:

The guidance contained in this JSP relates solely to MoD weapon systems, practises and training procedures. It is not intended to be of general application and the MoD accepts no liability in the event that third parties suffer any loss as result of following any guidance contained herein.

The OP is wanting to build a civilian range. He will therefore require different clearances than just doing it in accordance with JSP's.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by goldypurple View Post

Anyone help

Thanks in advance
    Home Office circular 031/2006 seems to suggest the NRA & NSRA have prepared guidance for the construction of civilian ranges and police it through inspections. The MOD no longer inspect/approve civilian ranges.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Having actually done this I would suggest you contact an independent range designer. As a private range you are not constrained by either the NRA, MOD or Home office (unless you wish to use the venue as a HO approved club and even then it need only meet certain criteria). It would be sensible to speak to the local constabulary and involve them from the word go. Planning issues must also be taken into account regarding change of use as well as highways and other such regulations (noise, public rights of way etc). Since the changes in regulations in regards safety certificates, the owner bears all responsibility for range safety and will carry the can should anything go wrong - he should also have deep pockets! I know of several people who have wanted to do similar and have been put off by the cost, limitations and responsibility.

HME
    Come and visit us for a Blaser or Mauser fitting, get the right rifle for your needs.

Thanks guys will refer my land owner to the NRA and his FLO for which his land is on.

if anyone has anymore tips or can help please do so

drop me a pm with your no i have the guys name at nra he came out told us how to do it, and plans as well, we did it as per instruction and it was passed he will tell you what you can have, totaly surprised us as to how much he would allow cost was less than 500 for everything including 3 visits