Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So you want a Blaser look at this first.

So you want a Blaser look at this first.

This is something I picked up off another non UK site.

"Just thought some might like to see a few pics of the Blaser 93 , sorry to say that its NOT complete , but it shows the important bits like the bolt and locking splines etc .

This is just pics of one incident , as far as I know there has been at least 3 , may be more , I just know enough to steer WELL clear of it .

There are far better designed and made rifles to EVER bother with this , just NOT worth IT ."

I beleive that they are caused by a primer being pierced , and the gas flowing back and melting a plastic disc that cams the locking fingers/splines into battery , then the bolt unlocks REAL quick , into your face .

Are you sure you still want a Blaser?

Best rgds

Thar

Hi there Thar,

I noticed this after replying to you in "classifieds" so I'll copy my reply to save other users from the bother of going there:-

Thar,
    At least your post includes pics, but it still rehashes an OLD story.
    A couple of early Blasers let go when a metal pin broke following corrosion, in later models this has been replaced by a stainless pin.
    I checked my manual and as far as I can see there is no pastic disc which can be burnt through by a primer. Believe me the Germans are very thorough on stuff like that, if it isn't in the drawings it isn't in the rifle.
    I don't know if you are in the NRA or not, but if you are, read their latest journal. After a few incidents involving "normal" actioned rifles with good old homeloading the suspect, Bisley are discussing how to police reloaders. An overhot load will blow any rifle apart and/or bits of it into your face (and I'm prepared to bet that's what happened in those awful pics, the bits suggest a breech explosion too), one incident and a couple of rumours aren't enough to write off anything (unless it's concorde).
    Thanks anyway, but I'm used to the luddite approach by now.
    The last guy who tried it had a miss-fire on the range in his conventional rifle using a friend's homeload (they advise against that in most rifle courses and the DSC1 cos it's stupid), then proceeded to ignore any missfire procedure I know of, and immediately extracted the problem round and put it in a box with all his fresh ammo, about 180rds worth, but he still felt up to criticising my rifle choice on safety grounds!!!
    I'm not saying for a moment that your are the same kind of muppet, but as we say to the antis, it's not the rifle at fault, it's usually the user.

And I'll add;

You must have something under your skin about Blaser rifles mate.
    Unauthenticated posts from a US website aren't proof of anything, and as I said above, I bet that poor guy was a homeloader who pushed the limits a bit too far and paid an awful price for it, but that wasn't the rifle's fault, it was his. Those bits from the breech and bolt assemblies look like they were blown apart forcibly in situ, the locking arms are still out on the bolt and one of them was ripped off. Surely if the locking mechanism had failed because of the mysterious "burning of a bit of plastic", it would have blown back almost intact, much like the breech assembly in an automatic rifle does when the sears retract, and the locking mechanism wouldn't have ripped apart.
    3 million plus Blasers sold and used in Europe alone and the best the nay-sayers can come up with is a couple of unsubstantiated rumours "their mates" heard, and some pics from a US website?
    If the rifles were so unreliable, Blaser would be out of business, one justifiable claim in the USA could bankcrupt any firearms company no matter how big (BP lost billions over Texas City and are still paying) and they wouldn't be able to sell a pop gun anywhere.
    Thanks all the same for the advice, but I'll wait until I hear of a product recall before I start to worry.

Hi Geoshot

I thought this post might draw a bit of incoming from irate Blaser owners. I notice how quick you have been to try and ridicule it.

The information did not come from a US site at all.

I am well aware of the NRA concerns regarding homeloading, it has been suggested that they might be making a fuss so they can bring in an accredited course that you would have to pass before you could reload. Of cause they would run this course and make money from it. Whether that would be there real intention I couldn’t possibly say.

The event happened in Germany and was investigated by the German equivalent of our proof house. Their conclusion was yes the owner did do something stupid home loading and this lead to the failure of the rifle. (This was not a one off event other rifles have failed) In response to this Blaser did not do a product recall they redesigned there rifles and ones made after September 2002 had as follows:-

Dual Ball Detents (CF body only)
    Longer Body –
    There is more "meat" to the body due to the need for better tolerances when the bodies need to be polished.
    There is a bolt safety feature that will not allow the bolt to come flying out if the bolt pin snaps. New laser engraved logos.
    Serial numbers starting at 2001.
    The bolt is longer to distribute wear better.

Now you may say serves him right, it was not the rifles fault, but Blaser have admitted a degree of blame by changing the design have they not. You may say that you would never make a mistake when reloading but remember the following:-

“The Man who never made a mistake never made anything”

“To eer is to be human”

“Nobody is perfect, are you nobody?”

My point is if I did do something stupid or something went wrong I do not want the bolt to be the weakest link, I would want the barrel to blow, you might loose a finger or at worse a hand but not half your head and your eye as the bolt fly’s back. I would rather a rifle fail as below.

At the end of the day people have the information and can make there own choice, if you do not like me bringing this to the site then I am sorry but I will not let that stop me. I posted it twice because after posting it in the classified section I realised that was not the proper place for this post. If you really must have a Blaser then get one made after September 2002.

Best rgds

B-b

evening thar/stalkers i was in germany/bavaria last year and a stalker suffered the same problem as the guy who was also shooting a sauer maybe there is a problem with this make of rifle?

sorry mate in that last message i should have wrote blaser and not sauer

B

Hi thar

you must have known this would provoke a response from me.

However it's old news, I don't know what your axe is with Blaser but ho hum.

perhaps folks would like to take a look at this link, it's quite informative;

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350

Gerry

Hi Thar,

Yep I was pretty riled at the time I read your post, sorry I assumed it was a US site that you used, you did actually say non-UK, but the point is the same, just cos its on the web doesn't mean its true, "doing a wiki" now means making it up according to my nephew.
    Just to clarify on a couple of points:
    I wouldn't wish what happened to that dude on anyone - no way do I think "he deserved it", that's your interpretation of what I wrote and says more about you than me.
    Bad homeloading blows more rifles apart than bad rifle design, and I can understand the NRA wanting people to prove competency, safer than letting them prove their incompetency, read their latest journal, they make a very good case for certifying homeloaders.
    I don't homeload, because I don't need to, I don't think it's wrong just a bit unnecessary for most of us.
    I don't unlike you seem to, think that differing opinions makes people stupid, just different.
    My Blaser is brand new so hopefully no probs expected, and you yourself now admit that later rifles addressed the problems of the old models, so what's your beef with Blaser?
    I make mistakes (even buying the Blaser wasn't no matter what you think), of course I'm human, I never claim perfection.
    If your rifle were to suffer a breech explosion you just might get bits of it in your face, personally i would be pretty p*ssed at losing a hand as much as an eye.
    I've nothing against you posting at all, you're post might make people think about the rifle they chose and that's a good thing. But post up to date stuff, not just scare stories and then you'll look honest not just someone with an axe to grind.

Kent
    mm, NRA, homeloads, sales of military surplus ammo? running courses?
    Money, money, money- i can tell you there are quite a number of annoyed people with the NRA presently. Esspecially f class shooters !

I have seen the remains of a blown up sako that was used with that millitary rubbish the NRA are so keen on. we have enough enemies at our door without the NRA lending a hand - i also know of two rimfires that blew!

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot
    Hi Thar,

Yep I was pretty riled at the time I read your post, sorry I assumed it was a US site that you used, you did actually say non-UK, but the point is the same, just cos its on the web doesn't mean its true, "doing a wiki" now means making it up according to my nephew..
    A non-UK site does not make it a US site, and even if it was a US site do you dismiss everything about firearms you read from the US, after all it is the biggest firearms market in the world by a mile. As for making false allegations about a major manufactures products on the web, well I would be very careful as I am sure Blaser’s legal department would come down on the poster and site owners like a ton of bricks. I see Tommy has had posted that he has seen such a failure of Blaser rifles in Germany, are you going to say he made it up? Just because these are words you don’t like to hear don’t shoot the messenger.) Yes you can post untruths on Wikipedia but they will not stay on for long before somebody challengers them.

Don’t take the criticism of your choice of rifle as a personal attack on yourself.

Just to clarify on a couple of points:
    I wouldn't wish what happened to that dude on anyone - no way do I think "he deserved it", that's your interpretation of what I wrote and says more about you than me...
    So now you try to suggest that I wish ill on people when they make a mistake, are you sure you read my post? or have you ignored the content and in your red mist of anger because somebody dared to criticise your beloved Blaser and now wish to sling mud a me rather than be objective?

I can understand the NRA wanting people to prove competency, safer than letting them prove their incompetency, read their latest journal, they make a very good case for certifying homeloaders.
    I don't homeload, because I don't need to, I don't think it's wrong just a bit unnecessary for most of us..
    So you don’t homeload but you think you are well enough informed for us to have to pass a test to be judged competent to do so. You also believe it is not necessary for most shooters to handload. As Kent has pointed out it is not just homeloads that can cause problems.

I don't unlike you seem to, think that differing opinions makes people stupid, just different...
    Were have I said you or anybody else is stupid? There you go again trying to discredit me personally.

so what's your beef with Blaser?
    IMHO they are overcomplicated, the only advantage they provide is a slightly quicker follow up shot, good for getting a lot of lead down range quickly (in a man’ op) but in the UK we generally like to make sure the first shot counts don’t we.

If your rifle were to suffer a breech explosion you just might get bits of it in your face, personally i would be pretty p*ssed at losing a hand as much as an eye....
    But what about half your head and your life?

I've nothing against you posting at all, you're post might make people think about the rifle they chose and that's a good thing. But post up to date stuff, not just scare stories and then you'll look honest not just someone with an axe to grind.
    I am honest and try to be objective also, are you trying to suggest that I am not? Was it not me that posted which model of rifle failed? Scare stories? I only told the truth not stories, just because you don’t like the truth does not make it untrue. If you are happy with your Blaser then fine I am not here to convince you to change, it is just offer the opinion that I do not think they are the best rifle out there.

Rgds

Thar

Re: B

Quote Originally Posted by Blaser3006
    Hi thar

you must have known this would provoke a response from me.

However it's old news, I don't know what your axe is with Blaser but ho hum.

perhaps folks would like to take a look at this link, it's quite informative;

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350

Gerry
    Hi Gerry

Was Geoshot around when we last ran this one up the flag pole?

Bloody glad I have got a Howa after looking at them tests and only a 1/3 the price of a Blaser.

But credit were it is due looks like they made a better job second time around. Oh well to quote myself. "The man who never made a mistake never made anything".

Best rgds

B-b