Thread: Using a .243 rod to clean a .308?

Using a .243 rod to clean a .308?

As above - can you see any problem arising from using a .243 cleaning rod to clean a .308 rifle (provided the correct brushes atc are used of course)?

Dont want to buy another rod unless i have to!

No problem at all so long as it's stiff enough not to bow and rub the inside of the bore too much.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    No problem at all so long as it's stiff enough not to bow and rub the inside of the bore too much.
    Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    ......and you are using a bore guide. Regards JCS

I use a pile of random old and various mix/match rods. to be honest, I use my 6mm brushes in my .223 as well, basically no difference. tried the 30-06 rod in the .223 and that was a bit tricky as the rod diameter was about .223 itself! LOL

bore guides are great, but I have to admit that nowadays I just can't be bothered. surely a wee knock on the iinside of the barrel with a blank bit of cleaning rod is going to do no more damage than a bullet travelling at 3500fps...

like the reloading market, I'm afraid the cleaning market is becoming flooded with 'accessories' and 'must have' paraphanalia. When once PH009 was fine for cleaning, people now have a huge range of cleaners, brushes, rods, guides, foam, snakes, copper removers, nitro removers, re-conditioning agents, etc. etc.

one thing is for sure, there's no shortage of crap to spend your money on - just make sure you leave enough in the bank to afford to enjoy your sport too! LOL

bore guides are great, but I have to admit that nowadays I just can't be bothered. surely a wee knock on the iinside of the barrel with a blank bit of cleaning rod is going to do no more damage than a bullet travelling at 3500fps..

I was lead to believe that it was the burning powder and the drastic heating affect on the steel that affected the life of a barrel not just the bullet
    hopefully one of the rifle makers will inform us of the facts.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    bore guides are great, but I have to admit that nowadays I just can't be bothered. surely a wee knock on the iinside of the barrel with a blank bit of cleaning rod is going to do no more damage than a bullet travelling at 3500fps..
    patjack, you would not be saying that about your newly fitted 800 custom barrel!
    More barrels are destroyed by poor and careless cleaning then get worn out by shooting.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    patjack, you would not be saying that about your newly fitted 800 custom barrel!
    More barrels are destroyed by poor and careless cleaning then get worn out by shooting.

Ian.
    whitebeard I did not say that you need to look at the thread above mine thats where it was written you obviously have not read all the input,
    my custom barrel never cost anywhere near your 800 quoted price thankfully
    I use a bore guide and the correct rod for each rifle
    was referring to bullet doing all the damage anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    whitebeard I did not say that you need to look at the thread above mine thats where it was written you obviously have not read all the input,
    my custom barrel never cost anywhere near your 800 quoted price thankfully
    I use a bore guide and the correct rod for each rifle
    was referring to bullet doing all the damage anyway.
    Sorry mate my misunderstanding.

Ian.

No Problem Mate.