Thread: New rifle has arrived...

New rifle has arrived...

The 'marmite gun' has arrived!

I am now the proud owner of a beautiful Parker Hale Safari in .270 Winchester. It's in immaculate, barely used condition with a fantastically patterned walnut stock and matt black metalwork. I have crowned it with a classic fixed stalking scope - another Meopta 7x50 as I'm a bit of a Meopta fan these days - in original Parker Hale rings.

I have put around 30 rounds through it so far, zeroing and getting the feel of the gun - my shoulder remains intact, as do my fillings and eardrums (although without the mod' it is VERY VERY loud ). With the moderator in place, it doesn't really feel much different to any other larger calibre rifle I have fired - just a definite shove; .270W certainly does not appear to be the vicious, unmanageable beast many have assured me it is... Next job is to grab some .270 dies and work up a home-load for deer using 130gn bullets - probably partitions, although I'm open to suggestions for other non-BT bullets (I've got a stock of Reloder 22 so I'm keen to use that up)?

First outing this evening if the rain holds off

Adam.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Adam

Good luck on the first outing. Post some photos of the new rifle - it sounds like a winner.

willie_gunn

Well done Adam sounds like a nice rifle as said get some pic's up and best of luck tonight with your new rifle .
    I work a 270 win and really like it infact don't think I would go for anything else now it is a pretty good caliber which I use for red's and roe and with a mod fitted it's an easy rifle to use and not be scared of.
    Happy hunting
    Karl

Sounds like a nice rifle Adam. Good luck tonight.

Good luck with the new rifle, don't hold your breath with the weather tonight around us.

Jonathon

Sadly, you may be right about the weather - it was fine while I was twiddling my thumbs at my desk in Worcester, propping up the County Council by pretending to do some work. Now I'm safely back in Herefordshire the rain's bleeding horrible. I've just looked at the Met' Office forecast for this locality and it looks as if the wet weather's set in until next week.

I can't stalk in the rain anyway - how do you hold the rifle and the umbrella..? (unless you are Marco Pierre White and have a Mr Ishii to hold the umbrella over you whilst you take the shot).

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    I can't stalk in the rain anyway - how do you hold the rifle and the umbrella..? (unless you are Marco Pierre White and have a Mr Ishii to hold the umbrella over you whilst you take the shot).
    Adam.

Nice one Adam, look forward to seeing pics of the new rifle.

Chris