Thread: Cull 'not good deal' for taxpayer, says UK expert

Cull 'not good deal' for taxpayer, says UK expert

BBC News - Cull for taxpayer, says UK expert

Apparently, according to the article, the proposed badger cull will "cost the public 1.55million". Of this, "215,000 is the cost to farmers of paying for shooting the badgers." And, that "does not include any of the personal, social costs or stress..."

Of course another way of looking at this is that 215,000 being paid for shooting the badgers is providing jobs and income for professional stalkers, which then contributes to the general economy. I'd think it would also relieve some personal costs and stress on now employed stalkers.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by phillc View Post
    BBC News - Cull for taxpayer, says UK expert

Apparently, according to the article, the proposed badger cull will "cost the public 1.55million". Of this, "215,000 is the cost to farmers of paying for shooting the badgers." And, that "does not include any of the personal, social costs or stress..."

Of course another way of looking at this is that 215,000 being paid for shooting the badgers is providing jobs and income for professional stalkers, which then contributes to the general economy. I'd think it would also relieve some personal costs and stress on now employed stalkers.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if the badger numbers dropped (inside the cull zones) much more cheaply than the numbers suggest.

According to Mr May (et al) they'll pack up their ickle suitcases and vamoose.... Yeah!.. of course they will! that'll explain the reduction...

And... can we use the skins for sporrans again please?

that's a great call Tamus, there's guys on here that would do a great job if they could legally do it! I'll buy one!

that cost is per area

how can it cost 215k to pay the shooters and 1.2million to pay the paper pushers per 150 sqr km ???

or

1433 to shoot over 1 km grid square 8000 to check its been done correctly and with the right forms

the simple solution which will cost the goverment or the farmers nothing "put a season on them" theres plenty to go around so they wouldnt get shot out,keep digging ilegal as thats just cruel,you dont need a degree or to be a scientist to work this one out.
    christ,theres a season on just about everything we shoot or catch,I dont see that lot running out or that idiot Mr May jumping up and down over deer or trout
    sometimes the simple solution is the best
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 18-10-2012 at 11:46.