Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flir

Flir

Flir have now put out a simple offering for about 2k. It hasnt got the video functions etc. Claims deer at 300m and vehicle at 700m, no mention of foxes. Has anyone got experience of this or other thermal stuff and the effective range and cost for foxing?

I have been using some ISIS gear with a mate but its 20k+!!! so I wont be getting any of that any time soon

I will pm you when I get a few minutes, I can let you have a try of a different one. On a good night up to 1000 yard detection.
    www.yorkshiredeermanagement.co.uk

IF ITS RED ITS DEAD AND IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    Flir have now put out a simple offering for about 2k. It hasnt got the video functions etc. Claims deer at 300m and vehicle at 700m, no mention of foxes. Has anyone got experience of this or other thermal stuff and the effective range and cost for foxing?

I have been using some ISIS gear with a mate but its 20k+!!! so I wont be getting any of that any time soon
    Any more info about this?

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I have used one, infact the new owner of your Burris has one! It's his I have used, the little hand held monocular.

Looks like this >>HERE<< not sure what exact model he has. Only downside is you can't mount it to a scope.

It will spot deer at 800m, it will penatrate vegitation. I'd have thought, being that powerful, foxing/fox finding would be easy.

If you still have his number, phone/text and ask about foxing, I'm sure he does a bit of that too. If not, I'll email him for you.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    It will spot deer at 800m, it will penatrate vegitation.

TJ
    I think that needs clarification. It will NOT penetrate vegetation in the commonly-perceived 'Hollywood' sense. It will, however, allow you to look through gaps in vegetation to see what is on the other side. That can, of course, be extremely useful. I have four thermal systems, ranging from similar to far better than the one in the link, and unlike the movies, none of these can see through anything solid, be that grass, mud, vegetation, trees, or anything else.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I think that needs clarification. It will NOT penetrate vegetation in the commonly-perceived 'Hollywood' sense. It will, however, allow you to look through gaps in vegetation to see what is on the other side. That can, of course, be extremely useful. I have four thermal systems, ranging from similar to far better than the one in the link, and unlike the movies, none of these can see through anything solid, be that grass, mud, vegetation, trees, or anything else.
    Yip, that sums it up, It will spot a heat sourse through the wood, but won't go through a solid. But you will see things in a wood that you would not see with the eye or binos, even when it's moving.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

cheers so far fellas but can any of you put some cost to detection distances for me please? ie 2k kit = ****, 5k = fox detection to 200m or whatever

Do wish I had'nt seen this and started looking into it. Want one now.

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Yip, that sums it up, It will spot a heat sourse through the wood, but won't go through a solid. But you will see things in a wood that you would not see with the eye or binos, even when it's moving.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    cheers so far fellas but can any of you put some cost to detection distances for me please? ie 2k kit = ****, 5k = fox detection to 200m or whatever
    Expect to pay three to four grand to see foxes at the ranges that are relevant to you.

I will bow to Paddy's greater wisdom with these systems. On another forum that is heavily into nightvision I had been asking the same question having seen the unit at the midland. The general opinion was that the 2k unit wasn't that good as the resolution and refresh rate are too low. A couple of the guys who bought it sent them back. The opinion was that you needed to spend at least 3.5k.
    So I am currently selling everything, item number 6938475623 on flea bay if anybody is interested in a soul . Lol. I can't remember the name of the unit that they are rating. IPC or something. I will have to look it up.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .