Flir

shootingduckdog

Flir have now put out a simple offering for about £2k. It hasnt got the video functions etc. Claims deer at 300m and vehicle at 700m, no mention of foxes. Has anyone got experience of this or other thermal stuff and the effective range and cost for foxing?

I have been using some ISIS gear with a mate but its £20k+!!! so I wont be getting any of that any time soon

I will pm you when I get a few minutes, I can let you have a try of a different one. On a good night up to 1000 yard detection.

Flir have now put out a simple offering for about £2k. It hasnt got the video functions etc. Claims deer at 300m and vehicle at 700m, no mention of foxes. Has anyone got experience of this or other thermal stuff and the effective range and cost for foxing?

I have been using some ISIS gear with a mate but its £20k+!!! so I wont be getting any of that any time soon

Any more info about this?

I have used one, infact the new owner of your Burris has one! It's his I have used, the little hand held monocular.

Looks like this >>HERE<< not sure what exact model he has. Only downside is you can't mount it to a scope.

It will spot deer at 800m, it will penatrate vegitation. I'd have thought, being that powerful, foxing/fox finding would be easy.

If you still have his number, phone/text and ask about foxing, I'm sure he does a bit of that too. If not, I'll email him for you.

TJ

It will spot deer at 800m, it will penatrate vegitation.

TJ

I think that needs clarification. It will NOT penetrate vegetation in the commonly-perceived 'Hollywood' sense. It will, however, allow you to look through gaps in vegetation to see what is on the other side. That can, of course, be extremely useful. I have four thermal systems, ranging from similar to far better than the one in the link, and unlike the movies, none of these can see through anything solid, be that grass, mud, vegetation, trees, or anything else.

I think that needs clarification. It will NOT penetrate vegetation in the commonly-perceived 'Hollywood' sense. It will, however, allow you to look through gaps in vegetation to see what is on the other side. That can, of course, be extremely useful. I have four thermal systems, ranging from similar to far better than the one in the link, and unlike the movies, none of these can see through anything solid, be that grass, mud, vegetation, trees, or anything else.

Yip, that sums it up, It will spot a heat sourse through the wood, but won't go through a solid. But you will see things in a wood that you would not see with the eye or binos, even when it's moving.

cheers so far fellas but can any of you put some cost to detection distances for me please? ie £2k kit = ****, £5k = fox detection to 200m or whatever

Yip, that sums it up, It will spot a heat sourse through the wood, but won't go through a solid. But you will see things in a wood that you would not see with the eye or binos, even when it's moving.

Agreed.

cheers so far fellas but can any of you put some cost to detection distances for me please? ie £2k kit = ****, £5k = fox detection to 200m or whatever

Expect to pay three to four grand to see foxes at the ranges that are relevant to you.

I will bow to Paddy's greater wisdom with these systems. On another forum that is heavily into nightvision I had been asking the same question having seen the unit at the midland. The general opinion was that the 2k unit wasn't that good as the resolution and refresh rate are too low. A couple of the guys who bought it sent them back. The opinion was that you needed to spend at least 3.5k.
So I am currently selling everything, item number 6938475623 on flea bay if anybody is interested in a soul . Lol. I can't remember the name of the unit that they are rating. IPC or something. I will have to look it up.

I have been looking into thermal imaging and came across the raymarine flir camara, have a look there are 2 variants! Paddy sp whats your thoughts on these?
http://www.ybw.com/expert-advice/el...st-have-gadgets-see-clearly-in-total-darkness

I thought that looked similiar. It looks like a rebadged FLIR. And going from what others have said to me. I personally wouldn't. Resolution on the 24 is low and the lens looks like 25 mm. ideally you want a 50mm lens and better resolution.

Guys

the four has a 9hz refresh rate screen

there is a cheaper version from china the guide ... It has a wider bigger lenses and a 50hz refresh rate screen resulting in smoother ppicture , both the guide & flir were done side by side in sporting rifle & guy said guide beat flir hands down
i know a guy with the guide and he loves it

I have a Guide IR518C and it can easily spot deer at over 1km (actually spotted a few sheep in a field at more than 2Km)
As has been said, it can't see through solid objects or thick vegitation, but if there is a direct line of sight between the heat source and the camera, it will detect it.
This means that deer size animals can be detected in woodland even if only a very small part of their body is visible to the camera.
It provides a quicker and more effective method than binoculars for scanning a piece of ground to determine whether or not there's anything there.
It's also great for finding deer which have been shot but have disappeared from view either into a wood or into heather or long grass
The price for these in the UK is approx £4.5K, but you can buy them from MSS-AT in Holland for quite a bit less (depends on the £/euro exchange rate)
Guide also do the cheaper IR518 A and B models but these have poorer sensor resolution and smaller objective lenses so their detection distance will be smaller.
However they all have 50Hz refresh rate which is what really makes them better than the FLIR with it's 9Hz refresh rate.
With 50Hz refresh rate you can track moving targets without the images on the screen smearing actross the screen. 9Hz is basically for static or very slow moving targets.
The Guide is made in China, but I'm impressed by the build quality of the instrument. It also comes with all the quality assurance documents (vibration, temperature and humidity test certificates) you would expect from a good quality manufacturer

Back