Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any trained badger operatives out there...?

any trained badger operatives out there...?

I'm guessing folk might not wish to say, but just wondering if any SD members were part of the Krebs trial 10 years ago with Defra? It was my first job when I left university, eye opening to say the least.
    For my money the best thing they could've done would be to simply revoke the protection afforded to badgers under Wildlife and countryside act and allow them to be shot in the same way as foxes, no mass media use of the term 'culling' and not trying to back it up with ill-supported science, just dealt with as and when farmers/keepers see fit, its not as if we've managed to exterminate foxes after all, so I doubt we'd wipe them out.....

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I'm guessing folk might not wish to say, but just wondering if any SD members were part of the Krebs trial 10 years ago with Defra? It was my first job when I left university, eye opening to say the least.
    For my money the best thing they could've done would be to simply revoke the protection afforded to badgers under Wildlife and countryside act and allow them to be shot in the same way as foxes, no mass media use of the term 'culling' and not trying to back it up with ill-supported science, just dealt with as and when farmers/keepers see fit, its not as if we've managed to exterminate foxes after all, so I doubt we'd wipe them out.....

good point, snaring terriers etc is taken care of so it would just be open to shooting.

Removing the protection on badgers is fine in theory, but would suffer the same problems they had with the Krebbs trial; interrupting social hierarchy and spreading potentially infected badgers. The only way the cull will work is if a significant reduction (as close as possible to all) in badger number is achieved on infected premises.

This is why they are trying to join farms into larger geographical areas.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I am going on a driven hunt in Switzerland this Saturday where Boar, Sika, Roe, Fox and Badgers will feature on the target list. Very much looking forward to taking a badger!

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Im sure they where only given protection to try and halt baiting,which would be difficult if not impossible to police if they had the same protection as the fox

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    I am going on a driven hunt in Switzerland this Saturday where Boar, Sika, Roe, Fox and Badgers will feature on the target list. Very much looking forward to taking a badger!
    You don't need to go to Switzerland just come to Mid Wales, TB is rife and i'm sure we can find you some driven "Newcastle Supporters"

Where does all this badger baiting take place, having been in the terrier world for a long time and no one I know has ever met a badger baiter. There has been a few comments on this site lately about terriers, implying how shooting is more humane, which we know is not always true, why do some people feel the need to slag another field sport off. Rant over

I'm sorry if you feel this is contentous Taff but you're not seriously classing badger baiting as just another field sport surely.

Baiting is the intentional putting of a badger in a pit/hole with a dog with the aim of a fight to the death.

Terrier work is not baiting.

I think Taff's point was that alot of people on here are saying shooting is more humane than terrier work, therefore implying terrier work is cruel and why do we need to slag off another field sport such as terrier work, to support shooting. To each their own.

Apologies gents totally misunderstood Taffs post .