Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shooting in a new rifle

shooting in a new rifle

Today I tried to zero in my new rifle. I eventually bought a sako 85 S/S, it's a cracking gun and I am sure there is nothing wrong with it. As it was new I went though the procedure of firing 1 then cleaning, I put 2 wet patch's thru using wipeout and then dry patchs until clean, I done this for the first 10 shots, and then shot 3 shot groups and cleaned again, giving plenty of time for the barrel to cool down. The first shot always seems to be out after cleaning, this happened with 3 different typyes of bullets winchester, federal and remington. All shots within 1 1/2" at 100 yards , some just under 1" I'm sure that I am not setting up right as the 2nd and 3rd shots were touching or at least very close. I don't know if my set up was solid enough but it is strange that the majority of bingers were the first shot after cleaning. I have only started shooting so I guess my technique is not so good

Any advice on how to improve on my grouping would be appreciated.

Maybe it just needs a fouling shot. My hmr always puts the first shot high and right after a clean, it shoots well after that.

Ignore the first round after cleaning simples . After cleaning my own I always fire a round off before zeroing or using for any other purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Ignore the first round after cleaning simples . After cleaning my own I always fire a round off before zeroing or using for any other purpose.
    +1

Ive found that just about all of these brushless cleaning systems cause your first 1 or 2 shots after cleaning to be slightly out, its unlikely to be you.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Or get a rifle that shoots the second shot in the same place as the first one. Some time ago, I fired a fouling shot with the 260 Rem and then a second shot just opened up the hole a fraction. More seriously, it's often not easy or practical for town dwellers like me to fire a fouling shot. Regards JCS

Should it not fire to POA on the first shot.I thought that all that breaking in the barrel mean't you didn't need to fire a fouling shot. As I said I am a beginner but I thought I could just go stalking after zeroing without having to fire a round or 2 before I started, is that normal? I'm sure it's my technique but I just need to sort it out.

Make sure you are not leaving any cleaning fluid in the chamber after cleaning - a small bottle brush wrapped in a patch carefully inserted into the chamber should get any wet cleaning fluid out
    also try running a patch dampened with meths followed by dry patches through the bore prior to firing to make sure the bore has no oily residue from the cleaner left in it.
    Any cleaning fluid left in the bore or chamber can cause a higher point of impact on the first round and can also create dangerous pressures.
    1. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Proverbs 26:4 (King James version)
    2. Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.

i RAN ABOUT 4 OR 5 DRY PATCHSTHROUGH UNTIL THEY WERE CLEAN, BUT i MAY HAVE OVERDONE IT WITH THE WIPEOUT. MAYBE METHS WOULD BE THE ANSWER OR TRY USING A LITTLE BIT LESS WIPEOUT

Quote Originally Posted by bbrc View Post
    Make sure you are not leaving any cleaning fluid in the chamber after cleaning - a small bottle brush wrapped in a patch carefully inserted into the chamber should get any wet cleaning fluid out
    also try running a patch dampened with meths followed by dry patches through the bore prior to firing to make sure the bore has no oily residue from the cleaner left in it.
    Any cleaning fluid left in the bore or chamber can cause a higher point of impact on the first round and can also create dangerous pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by jodi View Post
    Today I tried to zero in my new rifle. I eventually bought a sako 85 S/S, it's a cracking gun and I am sure there is nothing wrong with it. As it was new I went though the procedure of firing 1 then cleaning, I put 2 wet patch's thru using wipeout and then dry patchs until clean, I done this for the first 10 shots, and then shot 3 shot groups and cleaned again, giving plenty of time for the barrel to cool down. The first shot always seems to be out after cleaning, this happened with 3 different typyes of bullets winchester, federal and remington. All shots within 1 1/2" at 100 yards , some just under 1" I'm sure that I am not setting up right as the 2nd and 3rd shots were touching or at least very close. I don't know if my set up was solid enough but it is strange that the majority of bingers were the first shot after cleaning. I have only started shooting so I guess my technique is not so good

Any advice on how to improve on my grouping would be appreciated.
    Quit cleaning it so much. Running in a barrel is pretty much nonsense.~Muir

Never run in any of my new rifles and all shoot just fine