Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bavarian mountain hound

Bavarian mountain hound

Well I am now in a position to get myself a dog to train for deer work.However I am a little confused.
    I have read articles about warm scents and cold scents ?
    This is the first bit of confusion ?
    Should I get a dog and train it to follow a warm scent, for example a recently shot deer that was may be hit a little far back and made its get away. The dog would then be trained to follow the wounded deer and then hold it at bay once found ?
    Or do I train a dog to follow a cold scent say the next day ? But is this ethically correct. By that I mean leaving a wounded animal until the next day to follow up ? Some how does not sound right to me !
    Second bit of confusion !
    I have decided on a Bavarian as my new companion, however I have read that there are Bavarians and Bavarians ?? By this I mean the Polish bred ones and the German bred ones. What's the difference ? Is there a specific breed line that I should be going for and ones that I should avoid ?
    If anyone who has experience of this breed and could offer me some advice and a point in the right direction, it would be much appreciated .

Bmh

Hi grant,

Both the polish and German bmh's have there dedicated fans the same as anything else. I don't really know to much about them but if you do a search for bmh there have been many heated ''discussions'' abouts the pro's and con's of each line of bmh.

Cheers rob

Hi Grant,

You could try contacting the breed society regarding the different lines and current breed issues within the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant.N View Post
    I have decided on a Bavarian as my new companion, however I have read that there are Bavarians and Bavarians ?? By this I mean the Polish bred ones and the German bred ones. What's the difference ?
    My view is, and it is my view, if you can see both parents, and both are fit, healthy and inteligent then it doesn't matter what line they are from. if either or both are working then thats a plus. Dogs are intelligent animals, they learn, some have it naurally, some don't, but all will learn, especially if you have a way with animals.

I have a lab, both parents were calm working dogs of very good ability. Mine is hot headed, strong willed and stubborn as hell. Some of that is his breading, some of that is my fault for not being a "trainer". Either way I would lay money on the daft bugger finding a shot bird (possible a shot deer - never tried him) ahead of many field trial dogs. And he has proven it a number of times, trust me!

What I'm trying to say is, Bravairians (like most breeds) have been bred for a reason, theirs is to track wounded animals. I serisouly doubt it matters if they are Polish, german or even solvakian bred. Treat them well, train them well and and they will do what you want (they may even do it without training - it comes naturally to them).

But the I'm no expert, its just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose. I've come accross two Bravarians in my time, one polish, one Slovakian. Both absolutlely lovely animals. The Polish one it a top notch tracker also, the other hasn't been trained yet.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Grant.N View Post
    Well I am now in a position to get myself a dog to train for deer work.However I am a little confused.
    I have read articles about warm scents and cold scents ?
    This is the first bit of confusion ?
    Should I get a dog and train it to follow a warm scent, for example a recently shot deer that was may be hit a little far back and made its get away. The dog would then be trained to follow the wounded deer and then hold it at bay once found ?
    Or do I train a dog to follow a cold scent say the next day ? But is this ethically correct. By that I mean leaving a wounded animal until the next day to follow up ? Some how does not sound right to me !
    Second bit of confusion !
    I have decided on a Bavarian as my new companion, however I have read that there are Bavarians and Bavarians ?? By this I mean the Polish bred ones and the German bred ones. What's the difference ? Is there a specific breed line that I should be going for and ones that I should avoid ?
    If anyone who has experience of this breed and could offer me some advice and a point in the right direction, it would be much appreciated .
    Get a cocker then keep going with the confusion....

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Grant it seems to me if you read through the posts on BMH that we have two distinct types we have the German type nearly always used on a line thick set and hard to train. Then we have the polish delight they can be worked off and on a line are very easy to train with a Delightful nature. A bit like some of the strong headed GWP,s .I might be wrong what do i know.

ps THE MUSIC WAS TO GO WITH THE LAID BACK ITTITUDE

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Grant it seems to me if you read through the posts on BMH that we have two distinct types we have the German type nearly always used on a line thick set and hard to train. Then we have the polish delight they can be worked off and on a line are very easy to train with a Delightful nature. A bit like some of the strong headed GWP,s .I might be wrong what do i know.

ps THE MUSIC WAS TO GO WITH THE LAID BACK ITTITUDE
    Might be wrong-know not a lot

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

George time will tell mate still waiting for you to get your hands dirty with this tracking game .
    You can learn all you want from books and from long phone calls but that will not teach you **** compared to being out there let me know when your muts paws have hardened abit.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    George time will tell mate still waiting for you to get your hands dirty with this tracking game .
    You can learn all you want from books and from long phone calls but that will not teach you **** compared to being out there let me know when your muts paws have hardened abit.
    Hehehe,now now Davie,I'm learning nought out of books or long phone calls....there's a world of difference from what I expect from my dogs and you do.Dont bite so hard mannie.
    My labs would out track Ria,so if I were you I'd reverse that statement a bit bud.
    Once Ria has done a 24+ hour track on a wounded deer not a dead one,then you tell me when her paws have hardened

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook