Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart and lungs

Heart and lungs

Im in need for a heart and lungs. I just picked my GWP last night and woud like to start his training ASAP. Im between rifes at the moment so as much as I wouldlove I cant jump out and get 1.... Oh Central Scotland please.

nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Im in need for a heart and lungs. I just picked my GWP last night and woud like to start his training ASAP. Im between rifes at the moment so as much as I wouldlove I cant jump out and get 1.... Oh Central Scotland please.

nutty
    i take it the new dog is 8weeks old, what sort of training do you plan to do with such a young dog?

1995rs

Quote Originally Posted by 1995rs View Post
    i take it the new dog is 8weeks old, what sort of training do you plan to do with such a young dog?

1995rs

14 weeks and simple basic scent training. A piece of lung/ heart pulled over the floor about 1 meter in length then let the pup follow "trail" until it finds its little reward at the end.

nutty

Tried my 10 week Dachshund round the garden last week, dragged a lightly bloodied front leg / hoof about 10 metres across wet grass did a few 90 degree turns and he followed it to the leg perfectly. Little steps but I was pleased. Obviously an easy trail to follow but at 10 weeks you can't do too much with them. Nothing wrong with starting early I'd say!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    Tried my 10 week Dachshund round the garden last week, dragged a lightly bloodied front leg / hoof about 10 metres across wet grass did a few 90 degree turns and he followed it to the leg perfectly. Little steps but I was pleased. Obviously an easy trail to follow but at 10 weeks you can't do too much with them. Nothing wrong with starting early I'd say!

Excellent.I cant wait to get strated once Ive got him settled in. Im absolutely shattered, I got a few naps on the couch last night till 2.30 went to bed up at 6.30 walked him, got him fed and I have just put him in the kennel for a while to get used to it. Im glad I waited till 9ish for that, he aint happy.

nutty

[QUOTE=nuttyspaniel;457164]Im in need for a heart and lungs. I just picked my GWP last night and woud like to start his training ASAP. Im between rifes at the moment so as much as I wouldlove I cant jump out and get 1.... Oh Central Scotland please.

HI NUTTY, I would let him settle in,for few weeks,let him find his paws, and keep any training too a mimimum, go at pups pace ,and most off all make it fun all fun for one so young good luck,

[QUOTE=inverwire;457275]
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post

HI NUTTY, I would let him settle in,for few weeks,let him find his paws, and keep any training too a mimimum, go at pups pace ,and most off all make it fun all fun for one so young good luck,

Cheers thats my plan.

nutty

Nutty

I agree that a puppy needs its 'puppy' time but training a tracking dog (I have very little experience) is vastly different to training a gun dog (I have a fair bit of experience).

Personally I would just use a piece of deerskin dragged across the grass and let him follow it. He will, without having to use heart or lungs. he is not too young for that and should/will see this as a game if it is kept as fun.

meant to add that if he is reluctant to start and follow the track make it a short track (20ft - 30ft) with his food at the end under the skin but don't let him see you place the food there. he will soon get the hang of it.
    Last edited by jamross65; 21-10-2012 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Nutty

I agree that a puppy needs its 'puppy' time but training a tracking dog (I have very little experience) is vastly different to training a gun dog (I have a fair bit of experience).

Personally I would just use a piece of deerskin dragged across the grass and let him follow it. He will, without having to use heart or lungs. he is not too young for that and should/will see this as a game if it is kept as fun.
    Again I wont dissagree and all I want to do is let him have fun. Lets face it how does a dog learn its name? I call it kindergarden training or perhaps you could call it nursery school.

Nutty

I can only pass on what I have been told by guys who know their stuff. Are you planning to use a tracking lead and collar/harness at all or always work him off the lead?

The fun part is when you see them knocking bits out of the found deerskin! Lol...