Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 barrel life

.243 barrel life

Hi all , what would you say the barrel life is on a mid range .243 ?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Hi all , what would you say the barrel life is on a mid range .243 ?
    Cheers
    depends on the level of accuracy your happy with,my barrel gets swapped when it goes over 1/2 MOA

My Sako 85 estate rifle has had around 3000 rnds through it in the last four years with minimal cleaning and maintenance and is showing no signs of losing accuracy yet. All of these rounds have been factory Remmington 75grn Acutips.
    Glyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    My Sako 85 estate rifle has had around 3000 rnds through it in the last four years with minimal cleaning and maintenance and is showing no signs of losing accuracy yet. All of these rounds have been factory Remmington 75grn Acutips.
    Glyn.
    cheers glyn , much appreciated

tikka t3 243 win 5000 rounds up the spout still under 2in at 200yards and could be better if i was better at home loads as long as you do not fire like 20 rounds one after the other and clean it regularley you will not have problems i was told when i purchased the gun 1500 rounds and the barrel will be gone nope can still hit a 5p piece at 100 yards all day long forgot mine is the super varmint with heavey barrel may be worse with light sporting barrel can coment as all my guns are heavey barrels

Wraith how come you prefer the varmint barrel ?
    Cheers

I think the answer depends on a lot if varibles really!! If your looking for an average on 1/2 moa I would GEUSS at 1500 rounds

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Wraith how come you prefer the varmint barrel ?
    Cheers
    hevey barrel comes as standard on the super varmint will not heat up and distort like a light barrel so better acuracey recoil is less musle flip can still keep your eye on the target so can call the shots better for detecting round strike on deer etc hevey barrel is better for long rainge shooting in my book less chance of failure and most target long rainge shooters use hevey barrels more consistent and can cope with a lot of rounds going up the spout in a short space of time try puting your hand on a light wait sporter barrel after 20rounds and do the same thing with a hevey barrel the one that looks like its glowing bright red is the light barrel just my thoughts and my prefrence as i do all my shooting of a by pod the waight is not a problem

Tuck curious where did you get 1500 rounds from, as to half inch moa on average, that could be down to the shooter not the rifle.

When i was looking at getting my .243ack made, i was hearing rumours of 1000-1500 rounds before accuarcy drops off. Im about 1000 at the mo! and it still on song. I do run mine rather hot. 48gr Viht 165 with 105Amax. Dont worry about shot count as it will be the bain of your life.

Just get the calibre you like the sound of, not by the shot count.