Thread: To train or not to train.

To train or not to train.

Hi everyone,
    Looking for some advise. I have a young bitch, apple of my eye ( forget the wife ) she is 20 months old. Thats considerably younger than my wife. I am 57 in the how old are we thread. What a bugger!. Anyway back to the advise bit. I have been training my little angel mainly for game shooting and I know we all love our dogs! but she does seem to be turning into a good one. The 64$ question is 1 if I start to train her for stalking will this wreck her for game shooting/beating and 2 how many of you chaps out there use your dogs for both activities and what problems have you encountered.
    The last thing I want to do is ruin her potential, as I said, she is the apple of my eye and vizslas are sensitive little buggers.
    Thanks in advance all, I am sure somone out there will have some real gems for me.
    John.

I've no qualms about using my lab for both roles. He's a real skinny malink so he wears a neoprene camo jacket for stalking. When I've a gun in my hand and he has no jacket..... its birds. When I have a gun in my hand and he has a jacket......its stalking.

It works for me.

Dave

HPR breed's are made for doing both, if not more!
    I think your dog is in the HPR breeds right ?

These dogs are bred to be used to do it all so don't worry about ruining them on one of them. There alot smarter than most give them credit for and will soon learn that both are different games. Just keep it fun and enjoyable for yourself and the dog

Best of luck, post up some pics Always love seening people's dogs at work

My lab was trained for birds first then deeer I have no problems with him. I guess if you are going to comp standard the fact birds might be in the area he is tracking it might distract him a bit.

Dave

My lab was trained for birds first then deeer I have no problems with him. I guess if you are going to comp standard the fact birds might be in the area he is tracking it might distract him a bit.

Dave

I should'nt worry,they can tell the difference between deer and birds

Joking aside it does'nt take them long to read the situation they are in ie,walking slowly through a wood at 5 in the morning or quartering a root field..

NELL