Thread: Learning curves!

Learning curves!

The old adage of "You never stop learning", Has come home to roost with a vengeance this morning!,... Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2 x die set, (series 1) .17 Fireball ... following the setup instructions to the letter three times over I might add!,... result after trying the crimp stage, three cases with badly pushed back shoulders????????????? WTF? ........ back to the R.C.B.S. dies it is!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    The old adage of "You never stop learning", Has come home to roost with a vengeance this morning!,... Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2 x die set, (series 1) .17 Fireball ... following the setup instructions to the letter three times over I might add!,... result after trying the crimp stage, three cases with badly pushed back shoulders????????????? WTF? ........ back to the R.C.B.S. dies it is!
    Funny you should say that (not really, I feel for your predicament) but... I just got an email back from Hornady on Friday regarding the problem I've got with a New Dimension f/l resizer (btw, that's a "full length" resizer, not a condom stretcher). The decapper pin/sizer button spindle won't centre properly.. or anything like properly... They've invited me to post it back to them. I haven't enquired what the postal charges are to send from Scotland to Grand Island, Nebraska... but I'm thinking I might not even really want to find out.

Muir did warn us that New Dimension dies weren't so great... Seems, as ever, that he may have a point.
    Last edited by Tamus; 21-10-2012 at 10:30.

I have only ever used the lee crimp with no problems

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    I have only ever used the lee crimp with no problems
    It is the best. Lee will make custom crimpers if you send them three dummy rounds and $30US. I know they do 20 cal, not sure about 17 though.

I bought some Hornady New Dimension 243 dies out of desperation two weeks ago.(it's all the Trading Post carries these days) I got so mad I tossed them into the trash can. ~Muir

Lee as of yet, has declined to offer a 17FB crimp die (they say it is too short).

Over on Saubier's, a bunch of guys have bought the 17 Rem crimp die and an RCBS extended shell holder. From there they have turned the shell holder down to allow it into the 17 Rem die, thus making up for the shorter case of the FB. Seems to work well...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Lee as of yet, has declined to offer a 17FB crimp die (they say it is too short).

Over on Saubier's, a bunch of guys have bought the 17 Rem crimp die and an RCBS extended shell holder. From there they have turned the shell holder down to allow it into the 17 Rem die, thus making up for the shorter case of the FB. Seems to work well...

Now that is very, very , interesting...............
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!