6.5x55 vs '06

User00003

took the Swede to the stags on Friday, been a while I have to admit (the Swede, not the stalking!), but in culling a wee 4 point yearling I was reminded how I prefer the big slow shove of the 30-06 rather than the violent jump/crack of the 6.5. This was with 156 grainers, just too much jump and '243 ishness over the Swede. The more I shoot the aught six the more I'm growing to love that more shall we say 'predictable' shove that you get.

do others feel the same as me?

I have to admit, I'm starting to go a bit off the .243 and 6.5, and use the .223 and 30-06 in preference. Interestingly those are the CZ/BRNO's where the .243 and 6.5 are Sako and Tikka.:confused:

I was reminded how I prefer the big slow shove of the 30-06 rather than the violent jump/crack of the 6.5.

Oh dear I must be missing something :confused: as I have never noticed either of these things. In fact the 6.5x55 is renowned for being gentle to shooters. One of the reasons Bell used the 6.5mm was for it's light recoil and lack of ammunition weight. Of course he started off on the 6.5mm's with the 6.5x53R then later he had a Schoneauer in 6.5x54MS. I beleive the 7mm Mauser came in-between these.

I'm wondering about stock fit and barrel length, as I've only shot a "Swede" rifle once and it was a total pussycat, albeit we were firing 140 grain bullets.

Shoot and have shot a 6.5 for years can't say I have ever experienced "the violent jump/crack of the 6.5"

John

With a mod on I get very little recoil at all with my 6.5! without the mod it's a bit more like a rifle going off but nothing like my .308!

i find the 6.5 modded or not quite smooth my 308 is also smooth to shoot then again they are steyrs so what do you expect :stir: from such good rifles .
norma

I was shooting my 6.5/55 on the range yesterday and I was able to maintain sight picture after the shot to enable me to see the marker indicating the shot - mine is un-modded and pushing 142g bullets rather quickly!

Mike

I to have never noticed any of those things also I would not have thought the 156g is the best weight bullet for the swede 120-140 I have had much better success and accuracy with, but I now only shoot the 120g TTSX at 2900fps and has stopped everything in its path......

not 'violent' perhaps, just very 'jumpy'..dunno, maybe it's just me- LOL

I have a 260 and a 30/06 - close enough. Shooting both with a Jet Z mod, my best guess is that the 260 has no more than a third of the recoil of the 30/06, and the 260 is a fair bit lighter.

I have a 6.5x57 in a light rifle and recoil is but a gentle shove. My unmodded 308 is a pussy cat with 165 grains.................My .30-06 is most noticeable but very manageable. I have a BSA in 7.5x55 which kicks like a ................................dont like it at all!

I have a 6.5x57 in a light rifle and recoil is but a gentle shove. My unmodded 308 is a pussy cat with 165 grains.................My .30-06 is most noticeable but very manageable. I have a BSA in 7.5x55 which kicks like a ................................dont like it at all!

Gad. Off topic but is that BSA a sporting rifle?? Love the 7.5x55 but I have never handled a sporter in that chambering.~Muir

Interesting .................................... have not heard of a BSA in the Swiss chambering before but as they did in fact make special and often unlisted runs ................................................ well anything is possible.

Would be very interested in seeing it ;).

Hi Muir/BH

I bought it three years ago. It is a genuine BSA chambered in 7.5x55. It is not exactly a lightweight rifle but it is a very "kicky" and not very pleasant to shoot. I will try and get some photos up over the next few days if I can.

ALl the best

Conor

Often it just comes down to fit. (Yes I know it has been said a few times before) Very often is the problem though.

David.

BH

Please forgive the quality of the photos. THe barrel is indeed an original BSA offering. It is in for repair as the extractor is broken...............................struggling to find a repair.

THanks BH

Once the rifle has been restored I will get my wife to take some proper photos. THanks for the link.

As I mentioned, it is not the very pleasant to fire. They are super expensive over here......................for what they are.

Back