Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Action/stock bedding where in south east?

  1. #1

    Action/stock bedding where in south east?

    I have a rifle that i'm considering getting the action bedded.
    I have looked online at how to go about it myself and am a bit worried of making a right balls up of it so (depending on cost) would like to get someone else to do it for me.
    The rifle was very cheap so I can't justify spending very much at all on getting this done. Any ideas of where I should try?
    Must be super cheap, doen't need to be a pretty job but must improve the accuracy and free float the barrel.

  2. #2
    do it yourself, is sounds harder than it is, just look at the youtube clips and have a go, i did mine a few weeks ago and it turned out fine, if you use devcon you have plenty of time before it starts to set, go for it.
    cheers geoff

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I have a rifle that i'm considering getting the action bedded.
    I have looked online at how to go about it myself and am a bit worried of making a right balls up of it so (depending on cost) would like to get someone else to do it for me.
    The rifle was very cheap so I can't justify spending very much at all on getting this done. Any ideas of where I should try?
    Must be super cheap, doen't need to be a pretty job but must improve the accuracy and free float the barrel.
    Can I ask if the action is lose in the stock? Or are you getting poor accuracy (2 inch groups @100yards)? If it is not the case and the rifle is shooting good. Why bed the action?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    Can I ask if the action is lose in the stock? Or are you getting poor accuracy (2 inch groups @100yards)? If it is not the case and the rifle is shooting good. Why bed the action?
    Rifle is a Parker Hale. I'm informed that this model didn't originally have a floating barrel, but someone has previously tried to float it by removing material. As a consequence the barrel sometimes floats sometimes touches the channel. At the range grouping was approx 11/2 inch but with some shots (i noticed after the barrel was touching) flying wild by a good few inches.

    Therefore...... i'm reluctant to go back to an as original non floated barrel (as the rifle would have been originally), so this leaves me with trying to finish what has been started.

  5. #5
    I am sure that Brit or Muir will correct me. But I think your best bet is to try and re bed the barrel. Because if the barrel was bedded in the first place. That is where I would look to start. You might get problems from bedding the action now, if the action has been allowed to move in the stock for a while. If you are intent on bedding the actio. The first thing I would check, is to see if there is any elongating of the holes in the stock for the action retaining bolts. if there is you may wish to consider pillering the action. To get a stable base from which to work on.


    This all just depends on how bad the damage is, if any!

  6. #6
    Not really bothered about bedding the action if I can achieve consistent groups by bedding the barrel. Just didn't know if it was possible to turn the clock back as it were, or whether it was sensible to try to complete the floating barrel now it had been started.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    I am sure that Brit or Muir will correct me. But I think your best bet is to try and re bed the barrel. Because if the barrel was bedded in the first place. That is where I would look to start. You might get problems from bedding the action now, if the action has been allowed to move in the stock for a while. If you are intent on bedding the actio. The first thing I would check, is to see if there is any elongating of the holes in the stock for the action retaining bolts. if there is you may wish to consider pillering the action. To get a stable base from which to work on.


    This all just depends on how bad the damage is, if any!

  7. #7
    This is my T3 after being piller bedded by a mate of mine (who made it look easy), absolutley cracking job that i'm over the moon with, what i would say is, unless you know what you are doing or are going to do it under the hands on guidance of someone who knows what they are up to, get someone else to do it, i think from what i saw, it'd be easy to cock the job up and it'd be very difficult to put any major mistakes right?
    Having said that if you are good with your hands and maybe have the chance to try a bedding job on something like an old air rifle, then have a go, we've all got to start somewhere.




    Attachment 20529

  8. #8
    you can either add a new pressure point in the barrel channel by trying to add shims until you find the right hight and then glue a proper pressure point made of wood for example. Perhaps more easy will be to free float it properly, ie. find a piece of pipe the same diameter as your barrel, wrap sandpaper around and sand away until you can get around 3 sheets of paper worth of clearance all the way to the receiver. The thinner the stock/more flexible it is the greater the clearance will have to be. I would then progress by glass bedding just the rear tang and the recoil lug recess, marginally behind the recess and the first area of the barrel channel before the barrel starts to taper. There are plenty online tutorials and it really is quite easy. You probably have an integral front pillar sitting in the bottom metal I'd imagine, so you can either have a rear action screw pillar made, leave it alone, or even fill it with bedding epoxy, making sure the screw has plenty of release agent on it. Bedding epoxy can be used to artificially build pillars.

    I'm guessing that if you do this correctly, and the barrel is in decent condition, you should be under 1" grouping. You could even consider bedding the entire barrel channel if you find the stock fore-end needs 'firming' up, just make sure you add layers of tape under the barrel to create the floating clearing and plenty of release agent.

  9. #9
    To properly free float a barrel wood has to be removed from points under the action as the receiver needs to be securely supported to take the increased stress of supporting the barrel which is now a cantilever with no support of it's own.

    Mmany people never think of this and just hack away at the barrel channel thinking this is how free floating is achieved. Sadly many stocks are ruined by these people who blindly follow the "Free Floating mantra"

    may I suggest you PM Redmist off the forums who does an excellent job of bedding these rifles. Althoguh i have never had any work down by him I have seen them featured on posts here and discussed it by PM with him.

    I feel some shooters should not be allowed near tools are they are a bloody menace with them .

  10. #10
    Thanks all for the tips,
    Ill pm redmist as you suggest BH, thanks
    Mike

Similar Threads

  1. Pillar bedding in South West England
    By Tedward in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-10-2012, 21:52
  2. *SOLD* h&s precision stock for sale [ the one with the alloy bedding block]
    By jay 22 in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-06-2012, 11:44
  3. bedding a stock
    By kevin01041961 in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-02-2012, 08:42
  4. Trigger and stock bedding
    By chickenman in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 00:29
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-01-2011, 19:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •