Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluted barrels

Fluted barrels

Hope this is the correct section.

I had a custom barrel fitted to my sako however there has been a problem with it coppering up badly after a few shots, we are now trying different bullets to see if this will cure the problem.

The barrel was supposed to come from Walther already fluted however it was not and was fluted in uk and not by walther. Having spoken to a couple of very reputable smiths they have said that the fluting should be done first by the manufacturer and of done after can cause problems due to excess stress when being fluted on the rifling.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this?

Cheers. steve

Quote Originally Posted by WARDY1 View Post
    Hope this is the correct section.

I had a custom barrel fitted to my sako however there has been a problem with it coppering up badly after a few shots, we are now trying different bullets to see if this will cure the problem.

The barrel was supposed to come from Walther already fluted however it was not and was fluted in uk and not by walther. Having spoken to a couple of very reputable smiths they have said that the fluting should be done first by the manufacturer and of done after can cause problems due to excess stress when being fluted on the rifling.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this?

Cheers. steve
    Nonsense. Nothing done to the exterior of the rifle barrel will affect the rifling. If your barrel is fouling heavily it is an issue it had at the factory, or currently has with the bullet. No fluting will cause fouling.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 21-10-2012 at 20:25.

To be honest, you should have done your homework a bit better and gone with a different barrel. This is fairly typical of my experience of Walthers. The fluting doesn't induce stress, it relieves it. This can lead to variances in the bore diameter, which can actually be felt if you slug the barrel. Generally this isn't an issue as long as the muzzle end of the barrel is smaller in diameter, acting like a choke. In a sporting rifle I doubt you would notice the accuracy change.
    Last edited by danpd; 21-10-2012 at 20:36.

How many shots have you put through the barrel?

I have a factory fluted walther on my stalking rifle. It prefers to be ran dirty. Let it settle down.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

It's not a factory fluted barrel, it should have been but they ordered a plain one and had it fluted in uk

Its had around 100 shots now

Steve

I have had 3 Walther barrels before and not had this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WARDY1 View Post
    It's not a factory fluted barrel, it should have been but they ordered a plain one and had it fluted in uk..
    I ordered a fluted barrel recently and it turned up plain. I was advised not to get it fluted, so I will just use it plain. Regards JCS

Bottom line is.... How does it shoot?

if it shoots but just copper fouls, then that's easy to manage, if it doesn't shoot and it fouls badly then you have a bigger problem.

If the barrel got hot during the fluting process this could have changes the hardness of the steel. Could this cause this?

What I care about is I have never had a barrel that copper fouls this much normally a couple patches and it's clean not what you expect from a custom barrel