Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading help What am I doing wrong?

Loading help What am I doing wrong?

I knocked up some loads this morning prior to a bit of range work. The difference from the other loads was that I used norma brass instead of remmington and seated the head a little lower. Blaser R8 Cal is 6,5 x55. Lee dies
    When I came to load I found the bolt would not push fully home that easily,normally a firm flick of the wrist and the bolts home and fire away. This time I had to definately push the bolt to the end of the travel.

I seem to remember reading about excess case lube being a possible reason? I used Lyman greasey horrible stuff, ...its going.

Any ideas.

Oh the grouping was 1" at 200m

Pitnie

Sometimes excess lube will cause a dent in the shoulder of the case but unless the finished cartridges have not been wiped clean, I am not aware of why residual lube would cause the problem that you describe. When I had a similar problem with .243 homeloads in my Sako 75, after much checking and rechecking, I found that I had not set the full-length resizing die correctly, the result being that the cases were not fully resized. To add complication, some of the cases had been fired in my rifle and some in other rifles. The bolt would close on those fired in my rifle but not the others. It took me an age to realise what I had done.

umm these have been fired in my gun. I ran a new batch twice through the sizer this eve. They are better but not bob on.

I would check case length first to see if they need trimming then full length size the cases again with the die touching the shell holder and try again

Another possible suspect is the length of the case, particularly if they have been fired a few times. A measure and trim may be worth consideration ? Good luck.

I had a similar problem with my Blaser when I first started reloading, I solved it by slightly decreasing the headspace by adjusting the FL die. I found it useful to measure some factory ammunition that I knew the rifle loaded and grouped well. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by pitnie View Post
    I knocked up some loads this morning prior to a bit of range work. The difference from the other loads was that I used norma brass instead of remmington and seated the head a little lower. Blaser R8 Cal is 6,5 x55. Lee dies
    When I came to load I found the bolt would not push fully home that easily,normally a firm flick of the wrist and the bolts home and fire away. This time I had to definately push the bolt to the end of the travel.

I seem to remember reading about excess case lube being a possible reason? I used Lyman greasey horrible stuff, ...its going.

Any ideas.

Oh the grouping was 1" at 200m

Pitnie
    Just read your post but you don't really give enough information to give an answer, I take it that these are the first loads with the Norma brass, was this new or once fired brass, was it full length sized or neck sized, if once fired was it fired in your gun

Trimed them and ran them through the sizer twice. I'm new at this and its bugging me I'm doing something wrong. The first loads I did were sweetness itself.

Once fired brass out of my gun, full length sized ( not sure what that really means but used that die) and used what lee call a collet neak sizer.
    I followed the same instructions as last time just used norma brass instead.

Try sizing a couple of cases and cycle them through the action before loading them up. If cycle ok then it's something wrong in the loading process, if not then its definitely case prep. Just another thought if your seating a little deeper perhaps its causing bulging closer to the neck shoulder junction