Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DISCOUNTED: Short Notice Boar Hunt In Portugal

DISCOUNTED: Short Notice Boar Hunt In Portugal

Hi All,

I have just got back from an awesome week of Stag stalking in the Portuguese mountains and will be representing the outfit exclusively now for all their hunting. (Photos on their way).

While there we found they had a short notice drive hunt available for wild boar which has to take place on the 3rd and 4th Nov. Plan would be to fly out on the 2nd Nov and have 3 nights accommodation and full board food etc included in the package.

Price is 900 all in for two days of shooting and shared accommodation for three nights , 3 meals per day. Some wine and beer and soft drinks are also included with the meals within reason.

The only extras to cover are 105 for the hunting licence and I'm finalising the return transportation from Lisbon which will be a maximum of 75pp return, and gratuities.

Travelling with firearms is a piece of cake and all you need is your EU pass.

We are looking for a team of 10-12 guns (I think 9 left so far) and would expect about 1 to 1.5 boar per gun assuming a decent shot ratio. Some evenings in the high stands may also be available if desired, (included in the price)

If you have any interest in this please mail me a contact number at info@Athinahuntingtours.com and I will call you back ASAP

Best regards,
    Kiri

I was with Kiri in Portugal last week and the hunting is truly superb. The guys were having difficulty stalking stags in several areas because there were so many wild boar around, they kept exploding out of the undergrowth in all directions, causing the deer to bolt... We visited the area where the driven hunt is to be held and the amount of boar sign and damage was epic - they've held off shooting the ground for almost two years to let the numbers build up, so all the omens are good for an excellent hunt.

I suspect the actual number of boar shot per gun will be higher because the 1-1.5 per gun is based on Portugese hunters. From what our hosts told us, there are plenty of shootable boar put up at ranges of 5 to 100 metres but the local guys only shoot for 2-3 hours before going to lunch, packing up as soon as everyone has shot a boar, and apparently they don't use rifles for hunting very much there, so tend to hit less - we'll be out for much longer and hopefully will have had a bit more practice with our guns.

Shotguns using solid slugs are allowed too if you don't have a rifle suitable for driven game, i.e. one with a 1-1.25 mag' scope / red dot. Don't forget that moderators are highly illegal in Portugal, so make sure you leave yours at home! Also, rifle ammunition needs to be headstamped for the calibre you are using - you'll have endless problems with fireformed brass headstamped for a calibre other than the one you're taking into Portugal.

There are some big boar around there, so I'm really looking forward to getting back out there for the driven hunt (not to mention the fantastic food in the local cafe - prepare to loosen your belt by a couple of notches by the end of the trip!). Temperatures should still be in the low to mid 20s - making a change from the -16 on my last boar foray - although it's a bit chilly in the mornings and we did have a couple of rainy days.

Hope this helps sway you into trying this hunt with me.

Adam.

Gents,

As an update we will not have any extra charge for transfers to and from Lisbon, so the cost is 900, plus the hunting licence.

Rgds,
    K

Sound like a great opportunity at a really keen price!
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

I agree with Adamant, lots of boar in Portugal and you won't freeze your nads off when at a stand waiting for the dogs to get them to you. I shot there last year and would go back, the hunting license seems to have gone up an awful lot this year I think it was about 50 euro In 2011

Cracking offer Kiri... I am unable to attend, but perhaps you could keep us posted about the event, and how it goes.

All the best

Thanks guys,

Sadly it was just too short notice to get a full team together for the guys so it looks like we have shelved it until January. We will be doing 2 days of drive hunting again but combined with the red hind cull this time, so each gun will have 3-4 red hinds to cull each day. We expect guns to be able to fill all tags each day plus wild boar. Again no trophy fees will be charged.

This will be a more expensive hunt but I think still excellent value. As soon as I get prices I will let you know the details, so just put a post on thread if you might be interested.

Dates will either be 21st-22nd Jan or 28th-29th Jan.

Incidentally I will be getting some trail cam video from the feed site soon so I will post it for you to see the quality. There were some real toothy critters there to be shot.

Best regards,
    Kiri

Would this be with a former African PH who now lives in Portugal called Steve by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I agree with Adamant, lots of boar in Portugal and you won't freeze your nads off when at a stand waiting for the dogs to get them to you. I shot there last year and would go back, the hunting license seems to have gone up an awful lot this year I think it was about 50 euro In 2011
    Prometheus,

The 100 we quote on the licence is to include public liability insurance and the administrative work of the guide to go and get it done. To be honest I thought he got it all as one unit so I will ask and get a break down.

where did you hunt when you were there?

Rgds,
    K

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Would this be with a former African PH who now lives in Portugal called Steve by any chance?
    Hi Cougar,

Yes Steve introduced me to the outfit and recommended us to them. I've known Steve for a few years and he lived close to where we hunt in RSA so whenever I was down there we would get together for a couple of beers. He will be helping me on the hosting side in Portugal for the various hunts we are building up there, to make sure the logistics go smoothly.

Have you ever hunted with Steve?

Rgds,
    K