Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which butcher knifes to buy?

Which butcher knifes to buy?

Hi,

I'm thinking about having a go at butchering deer myself and want to buy a set of butcher knifes.

Can anyone recommend a certain make or set which would suit? Has anyone bought the Outdoor Edge set from Bushwear or know if they are any good?

Thanks,

Dave

I bought an Outdoor Edge knife from a trade member on here and I'm not particularly impressed TBH.

I use one of these: Mora Larder Knife and Scabbard Combination - Forest and Hill

But still use my Mora Clipper to break the carcase down and for skinning keeping the above knife razor sharp.

860MG - Forest and Hill

Most of the skinning should be blunt dissection using a closed fist. Never seen the point of skinning knives.

A small saw is useful, I have one of these: Our Manufactured Or Recommended Range | Donington Deer Management (3rd item down)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I use 2 different fibrox victorinox knives for breaking down the primal cuts as well as a steak knife, lamb skinner from samuel stainforth.

I didn't buy a set, I got the odd knife as and when I needed them.

Got two types, SWIBO by Wenger and the Victorinox ones with the fibrox handle. Both are good enough (for me - I only do the odd deer but butcher my own lambs/sheep) as they hold a reasonable edge and are fairly easy to sharpen with a steel. Prefer the Victorinox as the fibrox handles are a touch more comfortable and have a better grip when they get wet. Both are easy to clean and sterilise.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I didn't buy a set, I got the odd knife as and when I needed them.

Got two types, SWIBO by Wenger and the Victorinox ones with the fibrox handle. Both are good enough (for me - I only do the odd deer but butcher my own lambs/sheep) as they hold a reasonable edge and are fairly easy to sharpen with a steel. Prefer the Victorinox as the fibrox handles are a touch more comfortable and have a better grip when they get wet. Both are easy to clean and sterilise.

Harry
    + 1 for Victorinox Knives the important thing is to look after them,

Regards,
    Glendine.

Victorinox every time.

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    Victorinox every time.
    +1 good value and easy to look after

Thanks for all the advice. Seems that buying a couple select knifes is enough rather than a whole set. In terms of the different kinds of knifes would say a boning knife, steak knife and saw be sufficient for the average roe deer?

Cheers,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Seems that buying a couple select knifes is enough rather than a whole set. In terms of the different kinds of knifes would say a boning knife, steak knife and saw be sufficient for the average roe deer?

Cheers,

Dave
    Yes.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks again. Just ordered a Victorinox fibrox boning knife and steak knife. Now I just need to learn how to use butcher.

Dave