Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Converted Fridge

Converted Fridge

I understand that it is possible to convert an upright fridge to a chiller for hanging deer? I now have one surplus to requirements.

My question is, How do you fit a hook or bar to the top which will safely take the weight. I was thinking of placing a sturdy piece of timber or similar on the outside of the top so that it straddles the edges then drill through. Do you think this is a safe method or does the roof of the fridge contain any components that I could damage.
    Your recommendation's and help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Steve.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Steve

I just use the regular slatter fridge tray on the top shelf - I then put an 'S' ring through it and suspend the gambrel (and the deer!) from that. I've had 5 muntjac suspended at the same time with no problem.

willie_gunn

Cheers willie_gunn, I honestly did not think it would take the weight. It would certainly make life easier, Thank you.

S

S

Here's a photo that might explain better!

willie_gunn

I have a wine chiller and have made a frame that sits on top and is made of angle so it fits over the sides as well. A cross piece in the middle.
    Made sure there was no 'gubbings in the roof of the chiller and drilled a hole down through.
    A long bolt with a hook on the end, bolted to the frame.
    Does the job.
    Jonathon

Thank you so much Willie_gunn.

My fridge is not as posh as yours Willie! Yours is also slightly taller than mine. Hopefully that should not be a problem.

Apart from the hook there is no other adaption required is there, apart from keeping the temperature fairly low?

Thanks again for the picture and your time.

Steve.

Steve

Nope, no other mods required to the fridge at all. I keep the fridge on constantly, even if there's no deer to hang. I keep the temperature low - handy to store the wine and beer if there are no deer!

willie_gunn

That's me sorted then thank you willie-gunn and Johnathon.

I like the bit about keeping the beer chilled at all times.

All the best

Steve.

PREDATORCONTROL

i use a converted fridge, i have a 3/4"square of ply on top that my hanging hooks are anchored to (drilled through top of fridge then sealed all holes up)

unlike the posh fridge displayed by willie-gunn which i think has a built in cold air blower , i use a cheap 240v 6" desk top fan off e-bay (6) it even has a crocodile type clip to grip where you want it .

i use this on a timer (15mins on/off) and the fridge set on low/med setting is the best result for me , by using the fan you creat a wind chill effect making the fridge colder and creating a more even temp throught the fridge not cold at bottom and warmer at top

i have found if i put the fan on constant and turn the fridge to max cold setting i can even freeze the carcase solid.

hope this helps.......neil

Yes, mine does have a built in fan. I picked up my 'larder fridge' from eBay for around 20 or 25. I see there's a similar one for sale near Cambridge ending in 4 hours time currently on at 12.50, so now I feel like I was robbed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bosch-Exxcel-L...3A1%7C294%3A50

Ideally I'd have bought a soft drinks chiller, but they were always too expensive or too far away. For what I need, the larder fridge is fine.

willie_gunn