Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi all terrain or winter tyres?

Semi all terrain or winter tyres?

I have a disco 4 which has got the factory fitted tyres,Perrelli scorpions done approx 17 k miles and still plenty of tread. I go off road about 3 days a month. This weekend nearly got stuck on soft ground and had no traction at all. I had grabbers on my last disco 3 and really rated them off road and in the snow. Given the limited amount of off road use I wondered has anyone got standard winter tyres and if so how do they perform off road com steeds to semi all terians?

Tyre choice will always be a balance between needs, wants, costs and comfort.

Maybe add some snow chains to really give the tyres an edge in the soft. A winch of some type would also help.

But the further from the road you go the more kit you carry to get you back.

I run two sets of tyres one for winter and one summer.......

2130Martin . What are you running your winter tyres and what are they on.

I have BF Goodrich mud terrains on a set of Compomotive Rallyraid rims.........although previously I have bought a set of "off take" rims from ebay....

We run two Defenders, one has BFG All terrains which are great tyres and last at least 40k miles, they are good enough for most applications and quiet on road. On our other work truck we have BFG Mud Terrains which are absolutely awesome off road but are quiet noisy on road. I dont expect to get high milage from them but they are bomb proof. Like .25-06 says " Tyre choice will always be a balance between needs, wants, costs and comfort"
    ATB
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    We run two Defenders, one has BFG All terrains which are great tyres and last at least 40k miles, they are good enough for most applications and quiet on road. On our other work truck we have BFG Mud Terrains which are absolutely awesome off road but are quiet noisy on road. I dont expect to get high milage from them but they are bomb proof. Like .25-06 says " Tyre choice will always be a balance between needs, wants, costs and comfort"
    ATB
    Steve

+1 for all terrains brilliant tyre. lots of traction in most situations last ages on the road if your rotate wisely.
    atb matt

Hi moonstone gsp
    Did you manage to source something to suit the 20" rims?
    I have recently traded my X-Trail in for a Discovery 4, so any hints re tyres would be much appreciated
    Ta
    Geo
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

I have the Grabber ATs on my D3. Impressed with them so just put a set on my wife's FL2. They seem a good compromise and no increased road noise.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.