Semi all terrain or winter tyres?

moonstone gsp

I have a disco 4 which has got the factory fitted tyres,Perrelli scorpions done approx 17 k miles and still plenty of tread. I go off road about 3 days a month. This weekend nearly got stuck on soft ground and had no traction at all. I had grabbers on my last disco 3 and really rated them off road and in the snow. Given the limited amount of off road use I wondered has anyone got standard winter tyres and if so how do they perform off road com steeds to semi all terians?

Tyre choice will always be a balance between needs, wants, costs and comfort.

Maybe add some snow chains to really give the tyres an edge in the soft. A winch of some type would also help.

But the further from the road you go the more kit you carry to get you back.

I have BF Goodrich mud terrains on a set of Compomotive Rallyraid rims.........although previously I have bought a set of "off take" rims from ebay....

We run two Defenders, one has BFG All terrains which are great tyres and last at least 40k miles, they are good enough for most applications and quiet on road. On our other work truck we have BFG Mud Terrains which are absolutely awesome off road but are quiet noisy on road. I dont expect to get high milage from them but they are bomb proof. Like .25-06 says " Tyre choice will always be a balance between needs, wants, costs and comfort"
ATB
Steve

We run two Defenders, one has BFG All terrains which are great tyres and last at least 40k miles, they are good enough for most applications and quiet on road. On our other work truck we have BFG Mud Terrains which are absolutely awesome off road but are quiet noisy on road. I dont expect to get high milage from them but they are bomb proof. Like .25-06 says " Tyre choice will always be a balance between needs, wants, costs and comfort"
ATB
Steve

+1 for all terrains brilliant tyre. lots of traction in most situations last ages on the road if your rotate wisely.
atb matt

Hi moonstone gsp
Did you manage to source something to suit the 20" rims?
I have recently traded my X-Trail in for a Discovery 4, so any hints re tyres would be much appreciated
Ta
Geo

I have the Grabber ATs on my D3. Impressed with them so just put a set on my wife's FL2. They seem a good compromise and no increased road noise.

Running 265/70 x 17 Mastercraft Coursers on Dick Cepeck alloys on my mk6 Hilux. They catch under the wheel arches on the front when turning. But I've not been stuck since putting them on.

Took a punt on some Toyo Open Country A/T's a couple of years ago.

45,000 miles later and they will easily see me through this winter. Very pleased with them.

not a disco but a quattro
I have had my winter tyres on all year round. Nokian WR G2
go off road-ish 2 3 times a week. mostly slippy rather than deep stuff
had a moment in some very wet mud but they just bit down and gripped.
They don't seem to load up with sticky mud either

I claimed the scalps of some proper 4WD in the big snow fall we had a couple of years back (including several members of the Lard Rover family!)
I simply cant fault them in wet, dry, mud or snow

Another vote for All Terrains from B.F.G, durable, quiet, 95% as good off road as M.Ts and superb in snow. Coupla years back we had snow cover for 5 months and A.Ts worked well both on packed snow/ice and trail blazing through drifts. Previous M.Ts were great in fresh deep snow but just not as confidence inspiring as A.Ts on iced surfaces.
I like A.Ts so much I've spec'ed them for my D-max when it arrives soon even though they are a costly extra.

Back