Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borders Sika Rut???

Borders Sika Rut???

I am curious as to how others found the rut this year, in particular but not exclusively to the Scottish Borders.

So far I have not seen one stag sniffing after a hind never mind covering one, not seen one stag look even remotely aggressively towards another one although saw two young stags play fighting while standing 30ft from a big one who was feeding (just like every stag seen this year) away among 14 hinds, no chasing, no hinds moving away from stags when not interested or nervous followers etc, absolutely nowt...

There is no doubt that there will have been a bit of action out of sight but no sudden explosion so I am guessing it has been spread out over several weeks already but very sporadic.

The ones we have shot have all had full stomachs and in good nick although stinking. The first whistle this year was heard in mid-August which is something I have never experienced before, nor a friend after 30 years of him stalking sika. They went a wee bit quiet a week or two ago but on Sunday when out there were a few whistling again and one that groaned and groaned for about an hour just inside the wood from me.

How have things been elewhere? I honestly get the impression it is still going to drag on for weeks yet...

hi brian do you not think we need some frosty weather has been quite mild down here
    atb tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    hi brian do you not think we need some frosty weather has been quite mild down here
    atb tom
    That's the thing though Tom, we have had weather I would have said was cold enough to kick it into proper life, and lasting a few days as well. Not like last year when the temperature jumped to 70deg at the start of October...!

What I am seeing though, is a real variance in the age/size of calves supporting the theory that the rut does go on over many weeks down this way...

I watched a wee calf a couple of weeks ago appear with its mum in a field and it was still in full summer coat and half the size of its 'peers'.

Brian,

the rut has been stop/start again this year, same as the last couple of years. You are right though I think about it dragging on and on, I don't think we have had more tha two consecutive days of cold weather where I am. It is supposed to get a lot colder at the end of the week, shall have to see what happens then.

John

Forgot to say that it has been so warm here that I cut the grass yesterday!
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

All the stags ive shot in the last couple of weeks have been rutting, shot one on my patch saturday past, observed it for a good while prior to shooting him, it was like he was getting chased from a bigger stag, not a bit of fat on him, and all drawn in on the backend he'd been rutting for a while i would have said, i also found fresh rubbing /wallows at the weekend.

Speaking to a stalker from another block close to me at the weekend and he has shot more stags than ever this year. I had mates two weeks ago shot six stags in two days, stags rutting everywhere on that piece of ground in the tweed valley.

I seen three big mature stags coming from one block in my valley to another last week going like the bars from hell, looking for hinds. I would say this year for me it's been the best rut for a long time, iv'e seen more deer than ever.

Intresting Brian when im just over the hill from you

Von
    Last edited by Von; 23-10-2012 at 09:54.

Hi Jamross
    Having worked with Sika in the Borders area for a few years, the rut is generally over a long period dependant on hinds and weather. Mature hinds or calves of the previous year come in season once they are up to weight and the earliest I have heard whistles was mid August,which is indicative of hinds in season. Conversely a hind calf of the year, born in say late March/early April (Oh yes it does happen)can reach size and weight by November and be served by a stag.The latest whistle I have heard was the first week in December.
    Another anomoly with Sika is that I have never seen twins,although I have seen many twin foetus when gralloching cull hinds.

Very quite as to rutting activity.
    Was down on Sunday after working just for a drive and walk about but very quite as to whistling.
    Lots of hinds grouped up though and put 2 Woodcock up.

DavieH

I've not seen or heard any signs of the Sika rut Brian , but then again I've not been there since July.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    All the stags ive shot in the last couple of weeks have been rutting, shot one on my patch saturday past, observed it for a good while prior to shooting him, it was like he was getting chased from a bigger stag, not a bit of fat on him, and all drawn in on the backend he'd been rutting for a while i would have said, i also found fresh rubbing /wallows at the weekend.

Speaking to a stalker from another block close to me at the weekend and he has shot more stags than ever this year. I had mates two weeks ago shot six stags in two days, stags rutting everywhere on that piece of ground in the tweed valley.

I seen three big mature stags coming from one block in my valley to another last week going like the bars from hell, looking for hinds. I would say this year for me it's been the best rut for a long time, iv'e seen more deer than ever.

Intresting Brian when im just over the hill from you

Von
    Maybe mine are all over on yours sha**ing and only come back to stobo for their post coital sleep...

Quote Originally Posted by The fourth Horseman View Post
    Hi Jamross
    Having worked with Sika in the Borders area for a few years, the rut is generally over a long period dependant on hinds and weather. Mature hinds or calves of the previous year come in season once they are up to weight and the earliest I have heard whistles was mid August,which is indicative of hinds in season. Conversely a hind calf of the year, born in say late March/early April (Oh yes it does happen)can reach size and weight by November and be served by a stag.The latest whistle I have heard was the first week in December.
    Another anomoly with Sika is that I have never seen twins,although I have seen many twin foetus when gralloching cull hinds.
    I have also heard whistling in December and used a call to draw them out for a shot, probably more from nosiness than thinking about a fight!

I am sure that a figure I heard years ago was something like 20-30% of hinds can be pregnant in their first year. I am sure JayB posted a picture very early of this years first sika calf from up his way and the stalker copmmented on never seeing them so soon before.

As for weight, the hinds on us seemed to never loose their condition this year after the mild winter and were shot in January with kidneys covered in fat...

Just being a pest this year...