Poachers on the golf course

Tartan_Terrier

I just got sent a photo by a mate of mine who's a greenkeeper. Looks to me like the work of a poacher. I've advised him to contact the police, but what else would be a good idea for him to do?

Cheers
T_T

Attachments

• poachers.jpg
    poachers.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 370
why would a poacher leave it like that? looks like maybe a road kill and then fox and magpie dinner. im a greenkeeper and i have seen bits of animals all over the place.... i dont ask questions lol

Why do you think it's poachers? A fox or something similar has certainly had a good tuck in, but are there any signs of what actually killed it?

Looks to be in poor condition - is there an ear missing that's healed over? Seem to be more deer dying of sickness/exposure than normal this year, probably due to the damp. I've been looking around at reports of dead deer and seems as though more people are finding them dead/injured than normal this year...?

Wound looks rough for a poacher with a knife, and the bones are still there - poachers usually take the lot or at least the useful meat including the bones as it's quicker eh?

Or... could be a werewolf? ;)

Guessing its right near a road, just look for the BMW in the club car park with a damaged grille and claret on the bumper, can't blame the foxes and badgers for having free venison dinner.

I'd guessed that it was likely poachers who had been disturbed, but I like the werewolf theory more.

So, more likely just a traffic casualty that the fox has been at then. Good to hear.

cannot see knife cuts or bullet channels dogs may or may not go for throat
sickness then fox my bet

I have seen a very large number of dog kills and there is no sign at all that this buck has been killed by dog and in fact most of the characteristic signs of a dog kill are completely absent. It looks to me as though this buck has been hit by in the flank by a car, staggered onto the golf course and died and then been picked over by fox/badger and probbaly buzzards as well by the look of it.

Last doe season a fellow stalker knocked down a roe which ran into heavy underground and by the time we had fetched the dog and found it a fox had had a go at its paunch as in the photo,

Round my way the Pols pick up road kill and leave it out behind their house (stable lads working for the local estate) for the kites and my dog to eat. Found two munties just like this recently. Well the dog did before I dragged her off.

where is the gralloch?
poachers dont tend to eat that kind of thing or bone out legs

cut round the haunches and whip the whole rear end for a quick getaway ..yes
boning one leg in the field?...doubt it

looks like plenty left for sausages though.....

Back