Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Windscreen

Broken Windscreen

What would any one else have done?.i went to try out my new 308 on a 450 acre patch that i have permission on for Deer and vermin control. As i approached the first field i came across a tractor that belonged to the farmer who's ground i shoot on and his farm hand was hedge trimming the road hedge, i reversed back some 40 yards to let the tractor pull in to let me pass but he just looked at me and dropped the trimmer back in the hedge and carried on cutting , there was a mighty thud and a stone had been thrown up by the trimmer and broke my windscreen, i got out of the car and let the chap know what had happened he said what do you want me to do about it , i replied well i guess you broke it so it's down to you ! i was told nothing i could do it's just one of those things that happens get over it.I went up to see the farmer and explained what had happened he said claim off my insurance, which i done as i had to pay 200 pounds for the new screen. I phoned the farmer and asked for his insurance details and his reply was write a letter to me so i can forward it to my insurance you will have to put in the letter that you hold me responsible for the damage! i said ok thanks very much and thought all was well , a week later after i had sent him my letter and invoice for the damage i get a letter from the farmer telling me he does'nt want me shooting there anymore and never set a foot on any of his land again for any reason. i still havent heard from the insurance company i am 200 out of pocket and lost my ground. And the frustrating thing is over the years i have shot there and other grounds i have loaded the farmer up with Ducks ,Pheasants, Venison, Bottles of Port at Xmas and fish when i have been fishing , and i never got a thank you for any of it.

That sounds pretty normal to me, what reaction did you expect!!!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by THE STALKER View Post
    What would any one else have done?.i went to try out my new 308 on a 450 acre patch that i have permission on for Deer and vermin control. As i approached the first field i came across a tractor that belonged to the farmer who's ground i shoot on and his farm hand was hedge trimming the road hedge, i reversed back some 40 yards to let the tractor pull in to let me pass but he just looked at me and dropped the trimmer back in the hedge and carried on cutting , there was a mighty thud and a stone had been thrown up by the trimmer and broke my windscreen, i got out of the car and let the chap know what had happened he said what do you want me to do about it , i replied well i guess you broke it so it's down to you ! i was told nothing i could do it's just one of those things that happens get over it.I went up to see the farmer and explained what had happened he said claim off my insurance, which i done as i had to pay 200 pounds for the new screen. I phoned the farmer and asked for his insurance details and his reply was write a letter to me so i can forward it to my insurance you will have to put in the letter that you hold me responsible for the damage! i said ok thanks very much and thought all was well , a week later after i had sent him my letter and invoice for the damage i get a letter from the farmer telling me he does'nt want me shooting there anymore and never set a foot on any of his land again for any reason. i still havent heard from the insurance company i am 200 out of pocket and lost my ground. And the frustrating thing is over the years i have shot there and other grounds i have loaded the farmer up with Ducks ,Pheasants, Venison, Bottles of Port at Xmas and fish when i have been fishing , and i never got a thank you for any of it.
    Did this incident take place on private land or the public highway?

Your letter states that you had permission to shoot Deer and Vermin on that land.
    You do not state that you had

a lease or that you paid rent but gave Game etc, etc as appreciation of that permission.
    Does your own vehicle insurance not cover such an incident ?
    Even if it does not is 200 such a large sum in view of your past sport `over the years`?

Shooting permissions are valuable and I think your approach may have offended the owner.

HWH.

Its harsh but really you should have seen it coming, yes his employee was at fault but in the end it would have come out of his pocket as it wouldn't have been worth claiming. Usually its only 50 if you go through your own insurance and doesn't affect your no claims so i'd probably have worn it.

Quote Originally Posted by al4x1 View Post
    Its harsh but really you should have seen it coming, yes his employee was at fault but in the end it would have come out of his pocket as it wouldn't have been worth claiming. Usually its only 50 if you go through your own insurance and doesn't affect your no claims so i'd probably have worn it.
    +1
    1995rs

Quote Originally Posted by 1995rs View Post
    +1
    1995rs
    +2
    Most policies have a 'broken windscreen' exception whereby you pay a really small contribution ~50

If you have heaps of stalking land then maybe no worries, but if that was mine i'd have taken it on the chin and got on with it. Most farmers I know are tight fisted (my grandfather was a farmer so I should know ), whinging to them would just get their back up and they'd tell one to &@$# off...
    Last edited by stig; 24-10-2012 at 22:30.

Farmers "Tight Fisted" oh the shock of it not sure I can believe that .

BTW insurance companies re now wanting 75 excess for windscreens it seems. I suppose someone has to pay fr all the "free" repairs.

I must also add exactly what did you expect to happen?

Have to say I would have been pi**** had a word with the tractor driver, then went about my way. Yes it is 200 but what happens when you are driving along the motorway and the car in front flicks up a stone, would you try stop them to get there insurance details??

Quote Originally Posted by THE STALKER View Post
    Stop whining ,look at the other people on the site that pay a fortune for shooting and stalking in England something you've had for what a few bottles and some duck and game .

Why did you not just do what everyone else does with a broken screen, take it in and have it done pay the excess that's it ,now your arse fencing about with insurance companies ,who will win every time .

I had a screen broken with a stone from a truck , so what paid the excess done and dusted .

So far your on a loss,loss situation ,get it repaired and move on, accidents happen .

There was one up here a walker climbing over a farm gate the gate bat hinge pulled out the gate fell he ripped his trousers he went to the farmer whining about this, and that he was claiming him ,
    the farmer said to him why did you not open and walk through the gate as your meant to do .

The insurance company asked the same question he was on to plumbs .the guy ruined it for everyone else the farmer removed every lay by along the roadside now when there hillwalking they have another 3 miles to walk ,some people never stop to look at the bigger picture .