To be a basc a.w. You will have to join basc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick b

Just had a nice letter from BASC saying that if i want to continue as an AW on the BASC register then i will have to join BASC.

Now the insurance does not cover professional stalkers/keepers whilst doing there job or with guests and will cost the AW £66 to join BASC

Now the SGA insurance covers everything at a cost of £35.
Now is it just me being a skint flint or should those that it is aimed at have to pay over £100 for the title of AW just to make sure your insurance is on the ball or is it BASC yet agaian moving the goal posts to suit them
From this little episode it will effect 30% of BASC AW`S

your views on this please guys

Last edited:
So buy joining BACS does this turn you from a plan old AW to a BASC AW. Will you be higher up the food chain and get more work. Or is it a way of recruiting new members as their numbers are falling.

Andrew

More like a way of extorting more money out of people, its not like they don't charge enough as it is!

I have become very disillusioned by BASC as a whole, and as such moved to the SGA this year.
Prior to moving I felt that I was being fleeced and getting little value for money. . . this just appears to be another idea to get more money into the fine wine and caviar pot.

Last edited:
Just got the same letter in today.

I was an AW through BASC as that was the assessment centre, nothing to do with membership!

I have just joined SACS, so I don't see why I should join BASC!

If you are on the AW list, you are on the list. The list is for AWs and nothing to do with BASC other than that they are contracted by DMQ to do the work!

I will either go to a diferent Assessment Centre or jack it in! Fair enough if I were an AW for comercial reasons,

I'm not!

I don't think that I should pay BASC for the privelage of doing voluntary work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too thought it was a DMQ scheme that and although they share the same office as BASC they were separate bodies. When I was offered a place on the briefing for AWs it was either at BDS in Hampshire or BASC at Marford Mill. There was not much in it as far as travel was concerned so I just opted for the first date and that was BASC.
i would be just a little annoyed if the goalposts have moved. I guess I would just change to the BDS, but I will wait for my letter first.

The reason you attach yourself to a particular group be it BASC, BDS, Forestry Commission Sparsholt or any of the others is so that you have somebody to be accountable to and they take responsibility for you and your conduct as an AW. It makes sense that you are a member of the organisation. Are you a member of the BDS? Why don't you go through them?

DMQ is the awarding body. BASC, DDM or similar are the training centres who the individual Assessors and AW's are affiliated to. It's all part of the NVQ structure. There is nothing to stop you requesting to change your training centre to BDS or another. I moved from BASC to BDS as an AW as I much preferred the way they operate, but I remain a member of both BASC and BDS.
If you don't like it, don't do it! It's not like they pay you for after all!
MS

Just spoke with the BDS they were not aware of the requirement. I am a member at the BDS anyway so will just switch centres if it becomes an issue.

The reason you attach yourself to a particular group be it BASC, BDS, Forestry Commission Sparsholt or any of the others is so that you have somebody to be accountable to and they take responsibility for you and your conduct as an AW. It makes sense that you are a member of the organisation. Are you a member of the BDS? Why don't you go through them?

Fair enough point, although BASC asked me. This is the 1st correspondance, I've had in years!

Fair enough point, although BASC asked me. This is the 1st correspondance, I've had in years!

I am guessing the whole discipline (not you) issue in general is probably on of the things that has prompted it. I'm not saying money isn't a factor but if someone hasn't vested an interest in their supporting organisation?

The AW's are the responsibiity of the sponsoring assessment centre, not DMQ. BASC is responsoble for briefing its AW's, and keeping them upto date with current changes or processes. If there is a problem with a protfolio it is BASC who has to deal with the Isue, as we are the sponsoring assessment centre. There has to be a huge level of trust between the sponsoring assessment centre and the AW's and our Assessors. This has to be a two way system. In return for BASC sponsoring, briefing, updating, guiding and promoting its AW's, all we expect in return is that you sign up as a member to support your sponsoring assessment centre.

Of the 232 current AW's on BASC's books 4/5 are already members of BASC. As a supporter member (£30 per year) you will have access to regular updates in the form of the magazine and fastrack e-mails; you could also pay by direct debit. Alternatively you could join your own representative organisations assessment centre if they have one or contact your local assessment centre. We are not alone in doing this, I'm lead to beleive that BDS AW's have to be a member of the BDS - although I understand this does not justify it

This is not to make money, this is not to make members, this is to reflect a two way relationship. It will also improve administration and CPD recording of AW's.

If you have any direct queries please contact me directly and I wil answer as honestly as I can

Many thanks, Peter

This has to be a two way system. In return for BASC sponsoring, briefing, updating, guiding and promoting its AW's, all we expect in return is that you sign up as a member to support your sponsoring assessment centre.

Many thanks, Peter

If it is a 2 way system, I would expect anyone who works on your behalf on a voluntary basis would be doing so for free?:confused:
They could still support you with free membership surely? That is if it isn't to make money of course!:rolleyes:
MS

many thanks for the return call peter but like the many views on here i cant grasp it.
To just come out with it and not give any notification unlike the new portfolio a date was set and everyone understood this.
I have car insurance with the AA but in order for me to have it they dont make me take out breakdown cover,its the same thing here.
the information that you are lead to believe that the BDS AW`S have to be members is not true.So in order to be an AW with BASC would of cost me £120 in the 4 yrs and within that time i have had 1 letter (you charge more than the banks for letters).
By doing the AW for BASC it enables us to work with you and thus makes more people register with BASC for there lvl2 and paying for there portfolio in excess of £100.Now 7022 registerd for lvl 2 is over £70,000 now if the AW`S were with BDS i dont think it would be that many.
The point being like i said to you over the phone,have a cut off date like with the new portfolio and AW`S joing after the said date must be a minimum support member.On the other hand revamp your icurance to cover commercial instead of recreational.After speaking with BASC Insurance today i have found out that if someone pays you to go out stalking/shooting then the isurance you have be it keeper/member is viod .

So the question for me as a holder of DSC1 (through BDS) & now doing my Level 2 is :- Does the list I got with my Level 2 portfolio kit include all AWs from all bodies, or just those from the body my portfolio is linked with? (BDS in my case?)

Ian

So the question for me as a holder of DSC1 (through BDS) & now doing my Level 2 is :- Does the list I got with my Level 2 portfolio kit include all AWs from all bodies, or just those from the body my portfolio is linked with? (BDS in my case?)

Ian

They are all on there mate!
MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back