Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What breed

What breed

I decided that I will get a pup sometime through the winter but im unsure which breed to get. I have 3 labradors at the moment but they are gundogs. I was wanting a pup to train through the winter for deer, as I have been told I cant shoot at all till at least the spring time I will have plenty time for training

Does anyone have any tips for which breed would be suitable?

Stacey

im goingto sound biased but a gwp ticks all the boxs as it happens I have a litter here at the moment
    best of luck with whatever you choose regards pete

They are nice looking pups. I havnt owned a gwp before, do they have a good temperment etc..?

Stacey

There's nothing wrong with a Lab as a deer dog - in fact they make bloody good deer dogs, and you already have experience training them. Like any dog temperament will depend on the individual, gwp's are great dogs but can be a touch headstrong for some, to be honest it sounds like you have experience with dogs so that shouldn't be a porblem for you. You could try a lab/pointer cross and get the best of both worlds.

Get a Wire Haired Vizsla.
    Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a Lab as a deer dog - in fact they make bloody good deer dogs, and you already have experience training them. Like any dog temperament will depend on the individual, gwp's are great dogs but can be a touch headstrong for some, to be honest it sounds like you have experience with dogs so that shouldn't be a porblem for you. You could try a lab/pointer cross and get the best of both worlds.

Or the worst of both, you never know when crossing

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    Do Labs make good deer dogs? For scenting deer?

Quote Originally Posted by bigoak View Post
    in my experience yes. They are recommended in sondergartens book also.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    [/COLOR]Or the worst of both, you never know when crossing
    fair point but the lab wire hair seems to be a good cross.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoak View Post
    If you can get a good line they make good deer dogs.

+ one with roedinator on the GWP.
    I have used labs for deer and yes they are very capable, but the GWP is head and shoulders over them on deer.
    Sinbad

Forgot to add, A lot depends on what you want out of your dog, I use my GWP as a trailing/companion dog, ie he walks with me points deer in woodland that I cant see and finds deer I have shot, he also moves deer gently for waiting guns in heavy forest.
    If you want a full on tracking dog there are some excellent threads on here to guide you regarding the best dog type for your personal needs.
    All the best in your quest for the best mate.
    Last edited by sinbad; 24-10-2012 at 21:20.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am