Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Muir Trust ignoring

John Muir Trust ignoring

The JMT has gone against the wishes of the Assynt Peninsula DMG and is proceeding with plans to cull 100 stags of the Quinaig estate, ground which in previous years has had a 25 stags.

Don't be misled by the 296 figure, recent winter counts on Ardvar/Quinag have averaged 200 stags and the summer counts have in each year been 101, 71 & 64.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-20066698

I this not a job for the admg to sort i thought this was there area of excellence

What a shame. Feel very sorry for stalkers and all the other people trying to make a living out of stalking in that part of the country.
    GT

Again, disappointing.
    It constantly amazes me how these trusts get away with wanton slaughter of deer in the name of protecting native forest.
    Why don't some of the animal rights charities have something to say about this?
    After all, look at the outcry and publicity surrounding the culling of badgers to protect PEOPLE'S livelihoods and reduce the waste paid in compensation to our farmers for stock destroyed because of BTB.
    We should not accept the way deer are treated by JMT and NTS, SNH etc..
    Where is Brian May when you need him?
    S.

This is a perfect example of why introductions dont work its less than 150 years since red deer were introduced to many deer forests.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    This is a perfect example of why introductions dont work its less than 150 years since red deer were introduced to many deer forests.
    very true! Just been reading about Victorian deer introductions.

Don't know the facts, but as usual we have some very polarised opinions. This won't be solved by mud slinging and letters to the P&J, JMT really need to get round the table and discuss things with their neighbours. Not saying that the neighbours are right but surely there can be some sort of compromise. Shared funding in a strategic deer fence? Not rocket science??? Certainly, this is why DMGs were set up, the Chair for this area is a great guy, I would imagine that there is a solution to be found. I am sure that there is already a section 7 agreement in this area.

The Retreat Folk museum in Glen Esk details the first introduction of Red Deer into the Angus Glens I can't be sure but I think it was 1884 and 14 Red deer were introduced from an English Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    The Retreat Folk museum in Glen Esk details the first introduction of Red Deer into the Angus Glens I can't be sure but I think it was 1884 and 14 Red deer were introduced from an English Park.
    Yes, about he same time as Rothiemurchus, Balmoral was early 1800s. Before then, people valued timber! Not kidding, Ballochbuie was the centre of a court case to get sheep removed, as they were damaging timber, deer were un heard of.

Is anyone surprised by this? JMT have for a long time had a zero tolerance towards deer, maybe the question should be why the various estates ever signed up with them?!

As for the Assynt DMG, are we talking about a DMG attached to the Assynt Foundation as opposed to the North Assynt Estate? The Assynt Foundation were shooting beasts and leaving them lying on the ground not so long ago, no retrieval - disgusting in my eyes.

So in theory you could well question the JMT, which I do, but in my eyes the estates owners, whether individual or community, have a case to answer as well.

Cube

Re the Assynt Foundation, JMT are a stake holder there as well.