Thread: ST NV article

ST NV article

Got my copy of ST through today. I generally rarely read it. However there is an article on NV which made it seem quite interesting.

What a load of crap!! I have written to em

Dear Sirs

I noted with interest your article in the Lamping section and entitled “Right for the Night”. Fox shooting is my passion so I really looked forward to reading the article. What a disappointment!!

It is without question one of the worst pieces of review journalism I have ever read. You have allowed the author to belittle/criticise 2 pieces of equipment (Pulsar and Nightsight) whilst making ABSOLUTELY NO QUANTIFIABLE claims for the equipment he is reviewing.

He claims to have watched “rabbits feeding in acute detail” well before they were in range. Of What?? A catapult or centrefire rifle?? What distance? He claims to have watched foxes “fields away”, are we talking paddocks or 60 acre stubbles?

The picture of the rabbit in the article gives the impression it has been take through the scope of the unit. I am certain it has not.

Such uninformed, shoddy, lazy journalism is hard to excuse and a total waste of space in your magazine and in my time reading it. Worse still it might encourage people with little knowledge or experience to make a purchase of a product which, based on your article, has no stated facts to commend it.

I struggle to find anything worth reading in your magazine these days so to find something that is of interest then being so badly represented is a double blow.

Regards

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I haven't bought the shooting times in 15 years.
    I find it rubbish and out of touch with average shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I haven't bought the shooting times in 15 years.
    I find it rubbish and out of touch with average shooters.
    aye an sporting rifle going same way full of tosh the average shooter probably couldnt afford or justify buying wont be buying it any more

Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    aye an sporting rifle going same way full of tosh the average shooter probably couldnt afford or justify buying wont be buying it any more
    Have to agree,I used to get sporting rifle,but knocked it on the head.

I did have a moan on another forum a year or so bckl on the complete tosh been written by certain shooting magazines. In one particular instance they were testing a torch and they went to great lengths to discuss the box it came in and all the accessories. Didn't say much about how useless the torch actually was. I know it was useless cos I got to test it myself.
    I tend to look online now at the forums because it seems to me that there is too much interest in ensuring the advertisers, er, um, advertise!! But you lose faith and credibility very quickly in a magazine if they write tosh and then you wonder about all the other articles they write.
    Not the easiest of tasks getting the balance right but at the end of the day if you promote rubbish kit as part of your essential bag then expect to lose punters.
    Now on with the revolution...........
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .