Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is the right time

When is the right time

My lab is getting old and looking his age i have had him since a pup finding hard to come to terms with the fact that he as had is day. i need to take him to the vet for the last time.
    He as been a good servant to me over the years, and we have had some cracking days out . He is suffering when out for a walk, and i feel he no longer is enjoying is retirement i can see the look of disappointment on is face , when i take the other dogs out to the shoots.

Not nice. Ony you know that animal and I'm guessing you'll know when its time. That said, if there is nothing 'wrong' with him and he can enjoy curling up in front of the fire, I wouldn't rush to that decision, but if he's in pain, that's when I would make the call. So far, I've been 'fortunate' enough to have had the decision taken from me, I say fortunate, 7 with cancer really isn't, but it was an easy decision.
    Its never going to be easy, as has been said before, they give so much, but by christ don't they take it with them when they go.
    All the best.

Not an easy one, one of the reasons, I have tried to keep dogs outside.

many think I'm a bit of a heartless B, but by keeping them away from the family and the "home" it detaches you from them, so working animals, I'm sure the same is the same for shepherds and pet lambs. This approach maybe fine for a keeper with kennels etc, not practical for most.

The few that have been in the house, have really tugged at the heart strings when the day has come.

My old terrier went last year, he was 16 and a bit of a legend. I fore warned the family that one day he wouldn't be about after school. I then just set a date in my mind and did it. Now, I didn't wait until he lost his legs and yes he may have gone another year but, I knew he was happy and didn't want him to go down hill and at 16 he had a good innings. 10 seasons at dens and tracked his last deer at 14. He had destroyed 2 sofas, eaten dozens of the wife's hens and ducks. Caused fall outs with cat owners! And bitten countless German clients.

so , yes the kids were in tears and I had a big dram and lots of great memories.

so my advice, don't leave it too late, it won't make it easier but it'll make the memories of the dog so much better.

Dell, i found the time to be right when i "got that look". its difficult to describe but its a sort off "i'm tired of this now, its time to go" animals seem alot more accepting of death and just seem to know... unlike their human counterparts!!
    Big bloke... but outta shape

always a tough call but if your asking the question ,you probably already know the answer. That said , having pain is not the same as suffering, if he didnt care he was being left behind on a shoot day then that would speak volumes.
    i take the view that it is my part of the bargain to repay years of faithful service with retirement indoors and a clean end by my hand ,when the time comes. I measure my own life in dogs, where i was when i got them ,their exploits over the years, the heros and villans,where i was when they died, I tell myself they are tools of the trade but when did you last spend 5 days and nights on the hill with several friends moving tonnes of stone to find a hammer?

Now this is one of the most difficult questions of all I've got a dog here in retirement he can still get about although slowly but not necessarily in pain but once he starts to get in pain with very limited mobility or the vet says that they think its the time then that's good enough for, ill take some pictures of him with us as well to remember him buy, I'll take him to the marsh for the last time let him have the retrieve of a bird sleep on the bed for the last time then take him to the vets in the morning give him one last kiss then let the vet do there bit, then take him down the farm to be buried with my girlfriend and say one last goodbye ill put a little cross where he lay then when I go past say a little hello.......

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    always a tough call but if your asking the question ,you probably already know the answer. That said , having pain is not the same as suffering, if he didnt care he was being left behind on a shoot day then that would speak volumes.
    i take the view that it is my part of the bargain to repay years of faithful service with retirement indoors and a clean end by my hand ,when the time comes. I measure my own life in dogs, where i was when i got them ,their exploits over the years, the heros and villans,where i was when they died, I tell myself they are tools of the trade but when did you last spend 5 days and nights on the hill with several friends moving tonnes of stone to find a hammer?
    My sentiments exactly.

I agree! One of my dogs has had a problem with her leg since she was4. She has more than likely been in constant pain but that certainly would not have caused me to "END HER SUFFERING". Most of my dogs have lived to 15 but they usually stop working at 11 or 12. They get slower but as long as they enjoy a bit of fun and attention then I let them go on. To me the time is never right uness medical evidence is that the time has come or when the "light" in their eyes goes out

Exactly what I meant to say, just put far more elequantly.

although not every dog takes well to the house, I now have them in and out the house to get over this dilemma . Not wanting to detract from the original thread, I've also found a few retirement homes in the past where folk have happily taken on a 10 year old lab. One even came along beating from the age of 10 - 12 and never gave me a 2nd look, can't blame him!

A very difficult decision to make. As already said by others you will know when the time is right, don't rush into it but don't leave it to long.

All the best.
    Matt