Thread: masterbuck today

masterbuck today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8310224.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	362.8 KB 
ID:	20643
    this big boy had to be culled today ,after a visit to the park on sunday my mate decided he was too lame and was taking too much punishment from the other bucks to continue with the rut .
    we arrived at the park to find him laying down and with the herd spread out we watched for a while and he got up and was very lame hobbling off .he got into a very nice position and i crawled froward from the access gate and got on the bipod taking him with a high neck Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8310221.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	20642shot with the 6.5 ,he was instantly pole axed i reloaded but he hardly twitched. a sandy coloured fawn we had ear marked for culling also got in a good position and he was taken too .two shots in 10 seconds job done .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8310226.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	20644

as you can see his back right hoof was in a bad way both sides were like this and although it didnt smell like a sheeps with foot rot it was obvious he was not going to enjoy the rut any longer so i think my mate grahams decision to cull him was a wise one.
    not the most pleasant jobs to take a superb looking beast but when they are not 100% with little chance of recovery it was a job well done .
    thankyou graham
    regards
    norma

What a fantastic looking buck. What a shame, though that foot does like rather nasty.

dam shame my mate had persuaded the owners to run a few more big bucks this year alas this boy was not in the cull plan ,just the does to do now .
    regards
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    dam shame my mate had persuaded the owners to run a few more big bucks this year alas this boy was not in the cull plan ,just the does to do now .
    regards
    norma
    Seems the foot problem was "scald"
    Last edited by norma 308; 25-10-2012 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Seems the foot problem was "SCOLD"
    Do you mean Scald?
    Scald is an inflammation of the skin between the cleats of the hoof. From your picture, that looks more like a white line abscess, where a stone or thorn has created infection running up the inside of the hoof wall.

Cheers Buchan I did mean scald lol ,I will tell my mate, it was like it on both sides didn't smell though he was quite lame .
    regards Norma