Thread: Gallery Rifle + Boar Legal

Gallery Rifle + Boar Legal

My FAC is up for renewal so I'd like to add some slots for the future. I'm adding a second .22 for target playing and I was thinking of an underlever. I was looking at the .444 but they're rare as. Any recommendations? It won't be needed for a while as I'm skint but it might be amusing if I get something?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

444 will do the job no problem,Marlin do a good one. I used to have the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that was real fun to shoot and has a massive knock down power.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    444 will do the job no problem,Marlin do a good one. I used to have the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that was real fun to shoot and has a massive knock down power.
    Tusker
    Did you find one okay? A quick look on guntrader and there arent any about
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

BK
    treble 4's are some times on gunstar and on guntrader but you have to be quick as they sell fast. Due to more people wanting a .444m for shooting driven boar etc.
    when i bought mine 6years ago nobody wanted them If you do find one they go for around the £450-500 what ever the age of the rifle.
    The good news is though they tend to only have had down loads through( for gallery range work) them rather factory or full power reloads.
    They are a easy round to reload with either RL7 or IMR4198 doing 2100- 2300 fps with a 265gr interlock bullet .

bob

BK when I bought mine I got it from Woodlands Enterprises near Hungerford, it was new but didnot have to wait too long. That was about 7 years ago and I think it cost £600. but not sure.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    BK
    treble 4's are some times on gunstar and on guntrader but you have to be quick as they sell fast. Due to more people wanting a .444m for shooting driven boar etc.
    when i bought mine 6years ago nobody wanted them If you do find one they go for around the £450-500 what ever the age of the rifle.
    The good news is though they tend to only have had down loads through( for gallery range work) them rather factory or full power reloads.
    They are a easy round to reload with either RL7 or IMR4198 doing 2100- 2300 fps with a 265gr interlock bullet .

bob
    BOOM...........THUD.
    Nice!

bk sorry to rain on your parade but what do you mean by gallery rifle? If you are thinking of shooting in gallery rifle competitions under NRA competition rules you need to use a pistol calibre carbine and not one in a rifle calibre. You can’t use downloaded rifle cartridges either.
    If you only want to shoot informally at a club or range then .444 shouldn’t cause you any problems on most ranges.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I recently got a .444 Marlin and love it. I was lucky to find one, got one for £400. I had a hard time from the Met getting it on my FAC and been allowed to use it in the UK and buy expanding ammo. I think Devizes gunsmith has one for £550, thats what it shows on their website. Factory ammo is fairly expensive, I managed to get some for £40 a box and will be reloading in the future.