Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderator Effectiveness

Moderator Effectiveness

Hello everyone, please forgive my ignorance, since moderators are a prohibited device in this country I have absolutely no experience with them. I've always been curious as to the actual amount of noise and recoil reduction that they provide, I realize that it will vary from caliber to caliber, but is it that significant?

Also how much does the average unit weigh? And lastly , are you required by law to use them in some areas or conversely, prohibited from using them in others ?

There is a lot of interest in them here, but I think thats mostly due to the fact that we can't have them. Human nature I guess lol.

Thanks in advance & good hunting ,Alberta Boy

I use an AU-SL5 and the tech spec is in the following url. http://www.aseutra.fi/s-series-sl5-vaimennin I don't shoot without it. Regards JCS

All my rifles are fitted with moderators, until quite recently the local police were reluctant to allow moderators but they now appear to accept that there are genuine Health & Safety reasons for having them.atb Tim

They can weigh from 200g to 1kg and are very effective, I use them on all calibres, they make a massive difference and you don't have to wear ear plugs, they also reduce a rifles recoil and muzzle flip/flash by quite a lot, worth having a mid, like JCS, I don't shoot without one, I sometimes take it off and shoot 1 round just to show someone how effective they are and even they say! Wow! My .22-250 makes a boom and you can feel the pressure on your chest and yours ears ringing without a mod on! With a moderator it makes a very loud crack!

Hi mate, as a few have said, a crack with one fitted,and a massive boom without one,I shoot on some ground that I would not dream of firing my .243 at night for fear of disturbing people,with the mod fitted its not a problem,they also generally tighten a rifles groups up,I would not go back to an anmoderated rifle now, and I suspect Iam not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Hi mate, as a few have said, a crack with one fitted,and a massive boom without one,I shoot on some ground that I would not dream of firing my .243 at night for fear of disturbing people,with the mod fitted its not a problem,they also generally tighten a rifles groups up,I would not go back to an an moderated rifle now, and I suspect Iam not alone.
    You say that they tighten the groups, do you think that's due to the reduction in recoil? I'm curious, as moderators are not easy to obtain licences for over here yet (the Jægerforbundet is lobbying for it though).

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    You say that they tighten the groups, do you think that's due to the reduction in recoil? I'm curious, as moderators are not easy to obtain licences for over here yet (the Jægerforbundet is lobbying for it though).
    I don't notice any real tightening of groups with my moderator fitted... when shooting flat base bullets. However, on Hornady SST boattails there may be a very slight improvement in my rifle, with the moderator fitted. Or maybe I've just shot better with the mod fitted when I tried to compare... who knows? I didn't do it often enough to be certain.

And... I'm not sure why this might have happened but I have been told that muzzle gas flows, from non-moderated firearms, can disrupt the initial flight stability of bullets and this is more likely to be more noticeable in boat tailed bullets than with flat bases. The moderator directs gas flow quickly away from the bullet base and helps prevent initial flight disruption.

Is this right? Or... is this wrong? ... I do not know.

ps. I believe recoil only tends to cause problems by inducing "flinch".

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    My guess it has nothing or very little to do with recoil reduction. The recoil reduction of a moderator only comes into play in the later stage of the recoil, after the bullet has left the barrel. I think it has more to do with the weight distribution and recoil behaviour of a particular rifle. On a very light hunting rifle, light scope, medium to larger calibre one will notice the most change mostly due to the half kilo of moderator acting as a muzzleflip dampener on the front of the barrel. After a while one shoots much more relaxed and better with a moderator because of the recoil reduction.
    On rifles that are designed to have no muzzle flip in the first phase of the recoil I felt that the moderator actually reduced accuracy over longer strings. Less flyers. More tests are needed to confirm this though.
    edi

I still had ears ringing on my .243 with a moderator,

takes 2 seconds to stick a pair of ear plugs in though
    Cant say I noticed reduction in groups or improved accuracy with one on.

I use it with most effect on a .222
    very quiet indeed

Bewsher500 your ears still ring after firing your moderated 243 !!

Sounds like a crap moderator to me if this happens, my moderated 375 H+H doesn't even do that !