Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSPB Deer Branch....???

Question RSPB Deer Branch....???

I am just curious.. What does the RSPB have to do with deer??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rspb.JPG  

They shoot them to protect their bird reserves

They also have a small herd of red deer that I was involved with the management of on one of their reserves
    Regards andy

Quote Originally Posted by arthursc View Post
    I am just curious.. What does the RSPB have to do with deer??
    At my local reserve they have a heard of about 40 ish of red. Twitchers etc.. gather round all year to watch and admire and during the rut your luckey to get a seat in the hides. The RSPB have regular derr watching evenings and talks at a cost of £5 I think but with the volume of folk that come through the doors to see the deer must bring a tidy sum of money to there till in the cafe and with those who aint members etc. There quids inn.

Didn't they also have a trial at "letting deer manage themselves" on one of their fully enclosed herds, with disastrous consequences?
    Starvation disease etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Didn't they also have a trial at "letting deer manage themselves" on one of their fully enclosed herds, with disastrous consequences?
    Starvation disease etc.
    no

The pictures of non avian species on posters etc, is supposed to illustrate that the organisation is concerned about "all nature". As usual, the media dept seem to have confused everyone!

There are deer on many of the reserves, each reserve has an individual management plan, determined by the objectives of the reserve, habitat etc.
    All reserves are members of the local DMG! Where there is one.
    deer control is carried out by reserve staff or contractors, there are also a couple of leases, these are historical rather than commercial. There is no commercial deer stalking & no deer are left to die. There are a few reserves in the south that don't shoot deer for various reasons, safety, neighbours keeping the population in check, scale. I don't have any involvement with these reserves, so can't add further comment.

i am not saying the organisation is perfect(who is?) but deer control is taken very seriously and internal regulation is far more stringent than external.

I'm sure plenty will slate RSPB for whatever stories they have heard. But I assure you, I am more than happy with the deer management in North Scotland.

await the barrage!
    Interestingly enough, a student keeper accused RSPB of poisoning 1000s of gulls on a big island beside Inverness this year! If anyone can find this island can you let us know?

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    The pictures of non avian species on posters etc, is supposed to illustrate that the organisation is concerned about "all nature". As usual, the media dept seem to have confused everyone!
    I thought that was LACS on their ground in Exmoor. I think they ended up shooting them out o the window of a landrover and being caught on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    I thought that was LACS on their ground in Exmoor. I think they ended up shooting them out o the window of a landrover and being caught on camera.
    yes, was LACS

deer control on RSPB ground is determined by the vertebrate control policy. Believe me it is a stringent scientific
    process.

Of course there are very strong opinions within the society and there is a lot of debate, to be honest this is not such a bad thing. Deer control has a lot of support.
    pUnfortunately, this advert doesn't illustrate this.

I will inform the media dept about this thread tomorrow.