Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TD5 Discovery chipped / remaped

TD5 Discovery chipped / remaped

I had my discovery remapped today by Mike at Dynachip. What a diffrence its made I would recommend this to any one who has a TD5. Plenty of power plus better mpg. He also comes to were you work to make it a bit easier.

Sounds expensive ???

Bob

Chips can be from about 200 it's quiet cheap and works best on diesel don't know why but diesel seem to respond better. Great things a chip don't affect warrentes or anything as you can never tell a car/van has been chipped

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Chips can be from about 200 it's quiet cheap and works best on diesel don't know why but diesel seem to respond better. Great things a chip don't affect warrentes or anything as you can never tell a car/van has been chipped
    Happy to be proven wrong David but im sure modern day equipment used by insurance people will show up wether a car has been chipped or not therefore voiding the insurance...
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Happy to be proven wrong David but im sure modern day equipment used by insurance people will show up wether a car has been chipped or not therefore voiding the insurance...
    I may be wrong too but was told when I had my Subaru remapped that there was no way of knowing as it totally re wrote what was on the ecu and there was no way of telling what the settings were as standard but as you say modern equipment may have changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobg757 View Post
    Sounds expensive ???Bob
    Not really Bob 250 for the lot including coming out to me to do it. He then leaves his computer attached to the car and you test drive it he checks every thing is working ok.

It depends on the map, and how its installed. Some will show up, others wont. My brothers VW's and mates Audi, didnt show, not 100% on which Scooby ones do/dont, but most have thrown the warrenty in the bin by the time they start mapping due to the other mods that have been done.

Diesels seem to have big safety margins built into the generic map, which is why good gains can be made for little or no mods on top of the remap.

discovery (excuse the pun) depends on the nature of the map/chip
    whether or not it is a physical chip that is replaced in the ECU or a reflash of a ROM ECU (more likely).
    If someone wants to find it hard enough they will. anyone who drives the same cars regularly then drives a remapped one will be able to tell
    A simple comparison of 0-60 figures or a dyno will show it

It is not that it is a diesel that makes it easier to remap it is because it is a turbo.

Turbo vehicles are much easier to remap as you can influence not just fuelling and timing but airflow (boost).
    Stock OEM engine maps are written for emissions over power, although it may look like you are getting better economy I guarantee you that once you start driving it and enjoying the extra power your fuel consumption will go up!

most manufactures will not honour a warranty on a non OEM remap (VW offered a remap for the 140ps 2.0l deisel up to 170ps, by coincidence I owned both and the lower power one was better)

If you blow a piston or bend a rod due to excessive boost (unlikely with a shop bought map) then its your cost.

if you really want to make your Disco fruity....get a Nitrous kit!
    Diesels respond very well to the cooling effect of Nitrous given their higher compression.

I had a shot in a chipped nitrous'd 2.0l Seat Leon. Porsche eating material. ridiculous torque

Hi what sort of mpg are you getting now please