Finally I have my FAC !!!

sparkyal

Well finally after a very very long wait I have received my FAC which has came as an open certificate much to my delight !!! Now the decision of rifle , looking for a good .243 stuck between a howa 1500 fluted or the browning x bolt , I have heard the howa 1500 can produce some really good groups , and is also alot cheaper !!!! What's your thoughts guys ??

Sparky

Well finally after a very very long wait I have received my FAC which has came as an open certificate much to my delight !!! Now the decision of rifle , looking for a good .243 stuck between a howa 1500 fluted or the browning x bolt , I have heard the howa 1500 can produce some really good groups , and is also alot cheaper !!!! What's your thoughts guys ??

Sparky

Hate to burst you bubble and the person that told you the howa 1500 produces good groups .

Fact is if it is zeroed correctly, it is down to the person thats pulling the trigger, that is producing the groups ,having a good quality optic on the top of it may help a little, the ammunition can also be a factor to multiple holes in the target all in the correct place ,put all three and practice together and you've then got the winning combination.

Thanks widows son ,

I understand totally and am a very competent shot !! Was just wondering which would be the best purchase of the two rifles would be best in the long run

Thanks

Sparky

Personally I'd take the Howa over the Browning. Grouping on either rifle could be excellent out of the box or average in which case start home loading so you can create a perfect rifle for both foxing and deer.

I went for a Remy 700 so I could fiddle with it and with the carbon fibre stock it is extremal light and seriously accurate.

Sparky
Hi
When I went to buy my .243 I looked at the Howa,Browning and lots more but ended up with the TIKKA T3 Light as it felt right for me and fitted well. :hind:

Thanks ths84 ,

Much appreciated , salmo - if I didn't have such a huge tax bill to pay in January I would defo take you up on the sauer haha ,

Thanks for all the comments !

Howa or a Tikka, the browning is the worst of those two by quite a margin IMO I have a Tikka and Howa and both are cracking rifles.......

Good choice ,Tikka are good rifles accurate and reliable, what more do you need.
Had one in .308 for 5 years now S&B on top ,T8 at front.Used in all weather conditions and never let me down.
You won't be disappointed.
Nik..

Thanks widows son ,

I understand totally and am a very competent shot !! Was just wondering which would be the best purchase of the two rifles would be best in the long run

Thanks

Sparky
dont get eather one get a tikks t3 and enjoy your shooting xbolt abolt crap howa poor mans remington and i dont rate them much and i have one tikka all the way :stir:

IMHO I would set yourself a budget, decide on your optics and then see what you have left. Go to a gun shop and handle all the guns in your price range. Get the one that fits. Grouping will follow if the gun feels right it will shoot right. If you want small groups buy a selection of rounds and find one that works. Once you know the weight of bullet, roll your own and play with loading aband length.
simples!

remember buy the glass and use the change on the rifle. Most rifles will shoot straight but some shooters cannot!

cheers,

big ears

one thing not to do is to go out and be rushed or rush yourself into buying go to a good gun shop whare there is a good choice and get the one you can afford and feel is right for you.people on here will help you but at the end of the day YOU must feel comfortable with your kit.
then go out and practice a lot

a howa full set up at the minute cant really be beaten for price full set up for £1100 rifle,scope,mod.bipod,hardcase,mag conversion ive just ordeered a stainless one with green howa stock ideal workhorse imo and on first shooting one did as good as any rifle on the range certainly in its price range

Sparkyal the times I've done what you have I'm guessing!

Read everything listened to everyone? - Then gone to the shop to buy a specific rifle and found afterall that I didn't like it or liked something else better.

Now there is sense in the comments above regarding optics first but that takes serious discipline and first time out its the gun you are pumped up about.

So my advice it to go to a dealer with a big range of new and second hand guns and handle them all, work out what you like then have a think about what you want to buy.

It has to fit, it has to feel right (subject of many factors) and you can't read up on that or get someone else's advice. You will find good and bad references on any gun. Don't go for a big hitter out of the blocks get a gun you can shoot accurately your next gun can bark like a dog and kick like a mule.

Good luck and enjoy your experience.

Sparky

Fluted Howa with the Bell and Carlson stock. I handled the 270 version in Macleods in Sept and it certainly ticked the boxes.

nutty

Howa, one of the few modern rifles that has a proper recoil lug.
Only downside is the stainless version has stainless bolt lugs that tend to gall. Keep well greased.
I would prefer the blued version after my first stainless Howa was bad for galling.
My son has just started putting together a stainless Howa, we'll see if that one is OK.
edi

Back