Thread: Fallow Antlers

Fallow Antlers

Hi, I have a fallow buck on some ground and he has just shed last years antlers that i luckily found in a usual haunt. I was wondeering what standard or value he is out of curioucity(i dont understand much about CIC except gold is the best), but would like to hear more . Sadly cant work out to attach pics but please see web site below

lenght 51cm and ruler in middle is 15 cmfor scale

Thanks Ivor

http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/ivorfox/

It's very difficult to judge cast antlers but if those are 51cms long they are too short to have much chance of being a CIC medal. You'd be looking at better than 60cms to start thinking about medals but they do look nice and heavy with good palm which will help. The shortest Gold that I have details for is 64cms and most are over 70cms. The shortest Silver is 57cms and most are over 60cms.

A decent head but nothing special.

Thanks for that paul, do you think the antlers will be much bigger next season, i know the buck is between 7and 8 years old, the antlers seem to be much larger than last season with more points. What "sort" of age will a fallow buck be at his peak

Thanks Ivor

It is generally reckoned that for a fallow buck the 8th or 9th head will be the best so if your boy is 7 or 8 his best head might be the next, or maybe the one after, but it's not an exact science.

Thanks paul,i eagerly await his next set hopefully be might make bronze or silver over the next year or two. Is 10cm extra a lot for just one year extra

would some minerallicks be advantages.

Ivor

personaly i don't think the palms look wide enough and the tines long enough, going on one i had measured that never made a medal and he was a bit bigger than that
    but still nice to know that you hav some fallow in your area with decent heads
    and they are not all fish tailed cos all the good heads have been taken so leaving bad breeding stock

Quote Originally Posted by shropshirelad
    Thanks paul,i eagerly await his next set hopefully be might make bronze or silver over the next year or two. Is 10cm extra a lot for just one year extra

would some minerallicks be advantages.

Ivor
    Don't want to dash your hopes but I think another 10cms with the improved palms, spellers and brows needed for a medal is a bit much to expect. Stone is right though, you're lucky to have quality bucks around and maybe one of his grandsons might top him.

cheers paul and stone, i am lucky just to have him,i have left a couple of his prickets that had spikes twice the lenght of there ears so hopefully one day the line might be up to it.Just a shame the roe and munty are so few and far between.

Ivor