Dog eating own poo

auquhollie

Does anyone have any idea why and how to stop a dog eating his own poo. I think it is now a habbit as the other dogs have started to copy. Filthy habbit and i want to try and stop nip it in the bud (or should that be butt :lol:). Dog lives out in the kennels so not easy to see when he does it but for sure he does as he has been seen doing it.

Any advice or tips on how to stop him would be appreciated.

ATB
Ads

While we find this disgusting to the dog its quite natural, there can several reasons for a dog to eat his own Pooh or that of his kennel mates, first of all it may be a mineral deficiency, or it may be just a habit as you say, feeding pineapple can help as can courgette .

While we find this disgusting to the dog its quite natural, there can several reasons for a dog to eat his own Pooh or that of his kennel mates, first of all it may be a mineral deficiency, or it may be just a habit as you say, feeding pineapple can help as can courgette .

you beat me to it! Pineapple

although, if in kennel, saves work!!

my lab bitch used to but stopped when I swapped dog food, vet reckoned that it might have been that there was still nutrition in the s*** ? So try a lower protein food.
anyway, she's stopped.

you beat me to it! Pineapple

although, if in kennel, saves work!!

my lab bitch used to but stopped when I swapped dog food, vet reckoned that it might have been that there was still nutrition in the s*** ? So try a lower protein food.
anyway, she's stopped.
+1
as I always say to the wife too what goes in must come out so don't over feed ( she always piles the bowls up ) smaller meals twice a day .

Thanks lad's for the replies. I did try the pinaple trick and it kind of worked but after a month or so we stopped feeding it and the wee bugger started munching again. For a while we fed a BARF diet and that stopped him dead as the pooh is all chalky. Problem with a BARF diet with neibours is it stinks the kennels out so that got knocked on the head too. Like mentioned it is maybe that there is still nutrition left in his food when passed so i can have a look at chainging his food.

Thanks again for the ideas, if any more ide like to hear them.

ATB
Ads

hi auquhollie, how old is the dog? i have found that younger dogs or shy/quiet dogs will do this as they are fearfull of doing wrong and therefore are trying to "cover their tracks" by eating it

i dont know your circumstances but with mine i had to be dedicated to getting them empty before kenneling them during the day (mostly) and being swift to clean up. eventually it changed.

keep trying.

regards

ade

Simple solution to start with if your own dogs
don't allow them to crap in the kennel to begin with...basics
if taking in another dog that has not been trained or is suffering from stress is another matter
how often do you let the dogs out and at wot point in the day
when do you feed and how often do you clean up after them
You hav a dog that has created a habit but not quite sure why you are allowing the rest of the dogs follow in this way
there is some thing not quite right in your own methods here
not being nasty but something is not right in your methods
Has the dog been on the same food for a good while , ifso then it is not food related unless it has allergies

Most of the points have been covered, but sometimes it could be that they are lacking their veg from their diet. Some dogs love raw carrots as treats, either cut into chunks or given whole. Try some veg (steamed veg is convenient) and raw garlic mixed in with their food. This stopped two dogs from their habits. It has been witnessed in the wild, that the alpha lion/wolf will eat the stomach contents of the kill rather than prize meat as their share.Dogs are clever, as we all know, sometimes they can be covering up their act especially if they were told off incorrectly as pups.

if taking in another dog that has not been trained or is suffering from stress is another matter
You hav a dog that has created a habit but not quite sure why you are allowing the rest of the dogs follow in this way
Has the dog been on the same food for a good while , ifso then it is not food related unless it has allergies

The bitch, that I have was doing this when out a walk, she won't crap in the kennel. Thinking back, she was very nervous and before I got her she was in kennels with a 4 other labs who were very dominant with her. Her previous owner was getting no where with her.
When I took her on she was very submissive, now she is pretty boisterous!
So now you mention it, it may have been her growing in confidence rather than the change in food that stopped her?

You could be right here as i had a dog do it before (taking him inside stopped that). My routine is as follows. Morning time, let dogs run in garden as i clean there kennel then feed. Off to work then in the evening clean kennel then walk then feed and thats it till the next morning.

Feed has been switched a few times during this dogs 18 month life and he has done it for near a year now. We have just switched there food again as our supplier shut the doors.

Another thing im struggling with is his weight, we cannot seem to get him to fill out. When i got the pup at 4 months old he was a fat little chubber. Obviously we swapped him on to our food so that he was inline with the other dogs (puppy version) then at a year he went on to adult feed. For the past 6 months we have been trying to build him up a bit but no matter what or how much you feed him he doesnt really gain much weight. He is treated for both worms and fleas regular and has normal vet checks etc.....

Not that it matters but he is a GWP dog.

ATB
Ads

I have found this a dietary cause. Twice i have had pups do this but once they've been on my food for a few days they stop. Last pup wouldn't just eat it but play with it and throw it around, then bring it to hand :(.

You could be right here as i had a dog do it before (taking him inside stopped that). My routine is as follows. Morning time, let dogs run in garden as i clean there kennel then feed. Off to work then in the evening clean kennel then walk then feed and thats it till the next morning.

Feed has been switched a few times during this dogs 18 month life and he has done it for near a year now. We have just switched there food again as our supplier shut the doors.

Another thing im struggling with is his weight, we cannot seem to get him to fill out. When i got the pup at 4 months old he was a fat little chubber. Obviously we swapped him on to our food so that he was inline with the other dogs (puppy version) then at a year he went on to adult feed. For the past 6 months we have been trying to build him up a bit but no matter what or how much you feed him he doesnt really gain much weight. He is treated for both worms and fleas regular and has normal vet checks etc.....

Not that it matters but he is a GWP dog.

ATB
Ads

Ads
sounds like food or vitamin deficiency to me
every time time you change the food it may not be for the better
at 18 months you should be just weaning off a puppy feed that you hav used since 6-8 weeks of age
not on your 3rd or 4th different feed
i imagine the pup was on Barf when you picked it up or on a better quality feed than you normally would use
But at 18months no matter what you feed at a recommended dose will not help with weight gain as the dog will be quite energetic at the mo
if you want to help fill the dog out
exercise less, feed plenty of white bread or cooked pasta
if really worried look at a hypo-allergenic feed

Stone,
Your right mate he was on Barf when we got him at 4 month old but in my opinion it is not a good diet for a young dog so we put him on a puppy food. This was fine up untill i think 14 months when we stepped him up onto a junior food. He done well on that but sometime after he started eating crud. We tried changing to a different brand but it didnt help.

Anyway, when i left home the wife had sourced a regular food supplier and was in the middle of swapping all the dogs to one brand. When i spoke with her last night she said the GWP had put on 1.5kg and had stopped his dirty habbit. So for me its fingers crossed that he keeps on gaining weight.

Thanks again
Ads

Does anyone have any idea why and how to stop a dog eating his own poo. I think it is now a habbit as the other dogs have started to copy. Filthy habbit and i want to try and stop nip it in the bud (or should that be butt :lol:). Dog lives out in the kennels so not easy to see when he does it but for sure he does as he has been seen doing it.

Any advice or tips on how to stop him would be appreciated.

ATB
Ads
put tobasco hot sauce on it not a wind up recomended by my vet my german shepard was a bugger for it it stems from wolves who pick up there mess and recicle it and by doing so hid there tracks from other preditors

My GWP went through this. I fed him carrots in his dinner for a bit and found decent food. Skinners duck and rice works for me, it is hypoallergenic and cheap enough.

Occasional rabbit and venison stock on his dinner now, but he is 31KG so filling out

Back